The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Behold my new barn, the cleanest it will ever be!

When we first started with goats, we built a 6'x12' stall in the back of a barn, thinking it would be big enough because "we would only have 2 goats." Yeah. Goat math happened.

So we bought a 10'x20' shed and converted it into a barn. We put insulation in the walls, and covered them with OSB. We sealed the wood floor, laid down duracrete, and then tiled it with leftover tile (even managed to make a pretty pattern). The goal was to be able to shove all the dirty straw out the back double doors and power wash everything clean. No coccidia here thanks.

There's enough room in the human entrance to store 4 bales of hay, our milking stand, a trash can full of feed, and the milking machine--just haven't dragged that all in there yet.

We also doubled the number of feeders and waterers, and made it so anyone eating at one feeder can't see the other feeder since it's around the corner to reduce bullying (our herd queen is awful--she is going away after milk test ends this year).

We haven't done it yet, but we are going to fence in a good 20'x20' yard outside of the barn with Mysterious Goat Steps and logs and things for them to play on so that they can ignore them and pile into the 4' square entrance as usual. The existing stall in the other barn will now become the kidding stall/kid raising stall.

We moved 4 Nubian goats and a meat sheep ewe into the barn tonight. It is terrible and they hate everything and we have abandoned them to their deaths. And somehow, the sheep is the biggest bully of the bunch.

... Might I spoil my animals?
Naaaaaah.
Window Building Wood Fence Flooring
Property Wood Window House Waste container
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
Tile flooring Wood Flooring Interior design Floor
Property Tile flooring Floor Flooring Wall

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
1,087 Posts
Wow, that’s awesome! Very fancy!! I like the floor pattern

·
Registered
722 Posts
That looks cool! I hope they learn to appreciate it! I really like how you’ve used the space. It’s a good idea to have a part they can’t access to store hay. I like the tile idea a lot! I’m working on plans for a future shed. It also gives me ideas for a shed we’ve been using for odds and ends (3 turkeys and a rooster plus random items shoved up in the loft) I’d like to put goat stalls in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We used the tile in the small stall, and loved it. Initially, we had put down some peel and stick linoleum, but that absolutely did not hold up against goat straw and we were afraid we would wreck the wooden subflooring. We had some leftover tile, so we tiled the stall. It made cleanup a breeze--could use a scraper to get the worst muck up.

We just expanded on the idea for this barn. Again, the biggest thing is ease of cleaning. We both work full time jobs with opposite shifts, so we really don't have much time to devote to cleaning. Just shoving all of the old straw out the back doors, hosing everything off, and tossing new straw in will make life SO MUCH BETTER.

The goats continue to hate the barn. It is the most traumatic thing they have ever experienced oh god why am I torturing them by doing something NEW and DIFFERENT?!?! ... Nubians.

·
Super Moderator
32,823 Posts
Very nice

1 - 20 of 35 Posts