The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A nice big pen that I have the opportunity to put goats on ,25 percent of it is muddy and swampy deciding what to do and very concerned about worms, I've heard that worm thrive around water... I can possibly dig and make it a waterhole but not sure if that will fully work ,I am just concerned about putting money and work into this field its a bit smooshy I will sink to my ankles but the grass grows nice there so you know the goats will try to get over there any advice is appreciated

·
4,328 Posts
How about filling the soggy section with wood chips/hog fuel/ even gravel? And leave the not so soggy areas grass? The mud is bad for their hooves too...hoof rot. It's no fun for man nor beast! Take it from someone in western Washington!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point about the water..duh wasn't thinking. But the wood chips might just work thank you ... If anybody else has any ideas before I start work on it in about a month let me know please

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
You probably want to check local/county/state regulations regarding livestock run off before you get too carried away with filling it in. I have the same problem with all of my pens, but I can't put in drainage pipes because of run-off laws. What I finally did is just got Dad to make the center of the pens lower so the water collects there, the rest stays dry, and the girls can get to water and hay.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'd stay away from wood chips. The will rot and together with the urin and the feces (which you can't clean out) this solution will start to smell and be a source for foot infections (bacteria) in about a year or two. And you have to re-do it all over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts