New board member

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mimo777, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mimo777

mimo777 Guest

Nov 4, 2009
    Hi
    My name is Matt and I have a little evolving farm in Tuckahoe, NJ with 2 nigerian dwarf does and 2 American alpine does. I have had goats for 3 years and they have kidded already--the alpines--but haven't been there at a kidding :(

2. Well, that happens at times. Does can be funny as two WHEN they are going to kid.

Welcome aboard though. Glad you found us. I hope you learn and share alike. :clap: :leap: :wave:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome from atco NJ

what part of NJ is Tuckahoe I am not familiar :scratch:

I missed a lot of my goats kiddings over the years (I think I can count on one hand the number i actually witness in 13 years of goat raising!!!)

4. mimo777

mimo777 Guest

Nov 4, 2009
    Tuckahoe is 12 miles south of Vineland. It is on route 49 and route 50. I hope that I can be there for my Alpines this time. This will be interesting, I think they got bred by a pygmy.

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Welcome -- I am in Calif. now, but used to live in Atlantic CIty -- that was before my addiction to goats!

6. mimo777

mimo777 Guest

Nov 4, 2009
    Yes, goats can be quite addicting :D I was so excited to close on this house so I could have some room for my girls. My son absolutely loves them and he has alot of fun with them :D

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well hi...Matt....glad you have joined . :wave:

...if you have any questions...just ask.... :)

I agree on their addicting.... :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh ok.

Im near Berlin

9. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Matt :wave: very happy to have you here with us.

So how about some pictures of those goats?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to TGS Matt!

Great to hear that your girls are "normal" in the way they kept those births from you! They can be very sneaky!

12. mimo777

mimo777 Guest

Nov 4, 2009
    My girlfriend at the time ended up delivering the kids. Each had one. They had some trouble getting the babies turned because it was their first, and they were quite young. She had to get arm deep in to them to straiten the kids out. She has alot of experience doing this with horses and Yorkies, but none with goats, so that was interesting. Wish I was there. This time, they were bred by a pygmy so it should be like driving a bicycle through a train tunnel, but I hear that pygmys often have multiples--I don't know how that works in the cross. The breeding was unintentional. Cappy is already scratching at the ground so it shouldn't be too long.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    singles are always hard because they are so big.

Multiples are common in all breeds of goats. It is common for standard breed goats to have a single their first time and then twins from then on.

14. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    dont give up hope,, one of the ways i can tell when my girls are getting ready is to watch for something called presentation,, they will do what i call Bloom,,, dont know what else to call it cause i dont know my terms,, they will expand at the outside,, mine did like a lightbulb and if they dont come up for feeding when i call them ,, its time to go check on the girl who didnt come up to the feed trough..thats how i caught all three of my girls in the act..
    when you are feeding or grooming do it on a routine basis and take a good look at their condition so you'll know about how their bodies are developing.. had to do that with a mustang mare i have.. she started leaking milk and rubbing her sides against the fence,, must have been really stretched out and uncomfortable.. next thing ya know i had this impression to go out about 10:30 at night and check on her,, baby on the ground still wet,, not standing yet, and momma needing rest and comfort and body gaurd as she had her in the pasture.. got to bond with baby and earn momma's trust..
    maybe it works with goats.. i'll learn from folks in here as i go along..
    thats why i came here to learn more