New Boer kids: Quick question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Apr 11, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Well, two new boer does were born this morning. The first to be born seem to be having trouble standing. Is a shot of nutri-drench ok to give her? How much?

Thanks

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    For weak kids, it is good to give BOSE or selenium E gel. You can get BOSE from the vet, the gel can be purchased over the counter. You can use human selenium and vitamin E if that's all you can get but I am not sure of the dose.

You can give nurtidrench for energy...but if it needs selenium, that will not fix the problem.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats on the new babies.... :greengrin: :thumb: yes.. nutra drench is good.... I think it says on the bottle 4cc for newborns .....or a couple of pumps into a syringe.. I would also give a B0-Se shot 1/4 cc and vit E gel tab ..

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    bo-se is the best for weak legs
    and they will probably get stronger legs as they get older

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

If the legs aren't bending backwards, I wouldn't give the babies anything but time and the Nutridrench.

6. jbruner7

jbruner7 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Montrose, IA
    I had a little buckling who was born with crooked legs in the front. I gave him dolomite, vitamin C powder and some sea kelp. Within two weeks his legs were perfectly normal and straight. I do not know if it is what I gave him, prayer of just nature taking its course but something worked and he is now perfect and stands correct on all fours.

7. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice. She's had some nutridrench and 1/4 CC of BOSE. She crawls under mom to nurse. She just seems weak and sleepy. Does this just happen sometimes? When should I hit the panic button?

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations on the babies. I give all my babies Nutri Drench when they are born no matter what.

I am sure she will be fine, It takes some babies a little time to learn how to use their legs.

9. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Panic if she lies down all the time and does not even get up to nurse. Especially if she's not curious and generally mischievous and inquisitive . . . those are bad signs. If she keeps that up for 6-8 hours then it's time for some drastic measures.

Make sure to squish her tummy a bit to make sure that it's sloshy with milk inside. If it feels empty or hollow then it's time to bottle feed if she refuses to nurse on her own. Make sure she's strong enough to get milk out of momma too.

It could be contracted tendons (common in multiple births). Babies have trouble standing and often appear weak. You can stretch our all the joints in her legs and hold it for 2 seconds. Do that for 5minutes two or three times a day. That will keep her muscles from getting weaker and less flexible.

Congrats on the babies! Howz about pix? :D

10. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    The babies are doing well. They are both up and walking now and nursing. They don't seem to hang on for very long at a time, but they don't seem in distress so I assume they are getting what they need when I'm not looking.

We have made the decision not to disbud them. I know people don't usually disbud Boers anyway but we really don't like horns. The boer doe horns, however, seem to lay close to their head and the momma doe doesn't seem to have any trouble.

The beauty of two doelings (our first kids born on the farm and only ones scheduled this year) is that we don't have the heartache of getting rid of any bucks. Not until next year anyway.

Here's another question: Right now we have them penned up with the mother. At what age should we let them out to wander freely?

11. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    We usually let our kids follow momma out to pasture starting their second or third day of life (after they get their legs under them). If they are really weak and having problems . . . maybe keeping them penned up for a week or two will help give them time to get some strength up. I would wait until they can move around pretty well and can nurse on their own with no problems. If she's a good mom she wont let them get into too much trouble. :D

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... that is how I do it.... :wink: :greengrin:

Glad the babies are doing good.... :greengrin: