The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a buck kid from my freind today. He was born early this morning. She had to pull him off of mommy because she had no milk. And I said I would bottle feed him. He is full term but he is so tiny. And he was the only one she had. We call a micro baby. I am calling him mic. So I notice when bottle feeding him. His eyes have a white spot in the middle of them. I told her about. In case it had to do with the breeding side of things. I not sure if he is blind. He eats great. What should I watch out for and do for him? He will get fixed when he is older. I will try and get pitures of him at next feeding. I am feeding him colostrum.

·
14,802 Posts
Hard to tell, but if he was born in the morning you wouldn't think his eye would have a spot on it already. I do agree about checking the eyelashes as others have suggested. otherwise, you might need to observe and see if anything of concern comes out of it - can't see, gets worse, etc.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Micy is doing good. He does have a buddy with him. Got him the same day as Micy. His buddy Woody had a rough start too. Got Woody from my friend too. He would not take a bottle for my friend. So she had to tube feed him. But when I brought him home I got him to eat of the bottle no problem. They both are doing great. We are calling him Micy because my friend said he is micro baby. They are in the house right now. Because I dont have room in the barn yet. And Woody has/had a hard time regulating body temp. I think Woody was a premi.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got 2 more babies last night from another friend. His goat had 5 babies. 13 days early. These 2 need bottle fed and he does not have time to bottle feed. What is the best feesing schedule to feed premise?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The boy ate 3 oz at 6:30/7:00am. The girl ate 1oz-2nd at 6:30/7:00am. I just tried her at 9:30 to see if they was hungry. The boy ( cashew) was not hungry. But the girl (misty) ate almost 1 oz. I have jackets on them to help them stay warm. Even tho its hot to me in my house.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Are the premies sucking yet? They're really early, any chance your friend had the wrong due date? If not you might have to tube feed them. I'd watch their temps really really closely and give them 0.5cc of vitamin b complex. I'm not sure how often to feed them but my guess would be very small amounts often.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
The boy ate 3 oz at 6:30/7:00am. The girl ate 1oz-2nd at 6:30/7:00am. I just tried her at 9:30 to see if they was hungry. The boy ( cashew) was not hungry. But the girl (misty) ate almost 1 oz. I have jackets on them to help them stay warm. Even tho its hot to me in my house.
Good deal!

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Wow - how much do the two quintuplets weigh?

I've never heard of kids surviving 13 days early so that's great! I'd offer them bottle every 2-3 hours around the clock and feed until their bellies are just flush with the back legs and barely beginning to round out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts