The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do I start a new born on Coccidia prevention I’ll be using toltrazuril I guess.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My cocci meds are in the salt mineral mix. call your vet and see if they have a mineral with a cocci med in it.
the goats know when they need the mineral I have seen kids in the salt as young as two weeks.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
My cocci meds are in the salt mineral mix. call your vet and see if they have a mineral with a cocci med in it.
the goats know when they need the mineral I have seen kids in the salt as young as two weeks.
I'm glad it works for you, but to me, this sounds like how resistances can happen. Same reason we don't add corid to water, you could easily underdose.

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
I start toltrazuril at 10 days to 3 weeks old. 1 cc per 5 pounds. With toltrazuril I give once for prevention...booster in 10 days if treating...I also booster after stressor such as stormy weather..banding and such.

Toltrazuril works differently than sulfa drugs. Please read up on their web site to better understand its function. Unless something has changed that i missed, im afraid using monthly like a sulfa drug will wear out its effectiveness before long. If there is new info out there..I would love to read it.

Reactions: TCOLVIN
1 - 9 of 9 Posts