New bottle baby boer- black poo?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by heathersboers, Jan 5, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I just went and picked up a bottle baby yesterday-he is 1 day old and I have finally got him broken to a bottle- he is up and walking and is a true fighter--However his Poo is black...The best I can remember all of my other bottle babies-years ago-their poo was yellow... is there a problem here? He isnt dehydrated at all, and is spunky...???

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its probably teh first poo -- it comes out black for the first day and then it goes to yellow. Quite normal

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey is right, totally normal....meconium is the black tar like "first" poop of any baby. Once he starts to get the good stuff in his belly, it will turn to normal milk fed baby poop :wink:

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    What Liz and Stacey said! :ponder:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Totally correct..... :thumbup:

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've never had a bottle baby, but I do know that meconium is every first babies poo. That's probably what it is :) Congrats on the new baby!

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Ok- i thought so,just wanted to be sure- he's poo'd about 5 times so far...just wondering why it wasn't yellow-I thought by now it would have turned.-Thanks!!

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Some take longer than others to switch over to yellow poo. ;)

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    OK- His last poo was sorta yellow- good sign- He was born outside at 17 degrees-the lady that had him called me to come get him-so I did yesterday- He has been in my house since-When he rests-he breathes sorta hard-laboring like-with a rattle- he is still spunky and no runny nose or anything- good appetite-Could it be pneumonia without the runny nose??

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Some babies aspirate during birth, what you hear could be normal for him for a few days. Put an ear to his chest, if he is rattling deep then I would worry about treatment. Sometimes a few good thumps on the ribs will bring about a cough to help get rid of the junkies.