The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Been a while since I posted.

Yesterday we picked up our new buck who is 4 months old. He is a LOT bigger than our others of the same age, even though they are the same breed.

I put him in with the herd this morning and obviously they all had a go at the poor wee fella, so now I have separated him out with 3 of our smaller goats to try and get him accustomed to them before we put them all together.

From what I have read this is probably the best way, or just have him by himself next door to the herd to help them blend that way.

From your experiences, which is the best way? Our goats are all varied ages, but most are over a year old, apart form the kids who are about the same age as this boy but about half the size!

Thanks,
Em:cool:

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Do you have does that you want to get pregnant? He is of breeding age... My 4 mo old buckling already bread one of my girls I believe since she didn't come back into heat, so he is of breeding age... I put him with the girls first when he was 2 months... Yeah he got picked on but the little stinker wanted nothing to do with being in by himself he kept getting out to be with them. When he was 3 mo, I had to separate him from the girls, and I put him with the boys.... Same thing happened but within a couple days they all got along.... He is now in my "buck" pen and not really liking the other buck, but he's dealing with it:) I'd say if he's wanting out then leave him by himself, and if he isn't then just let him go through the pecking order...

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Having him separate with the other little ones is good. Then they are a herd that is put back with the regular herd.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I agree, just not with the young Doelings, that aren't old enough to breed yet, it is best to wait until 1 year of age.

If you want to gradually introduce, put him with a docile pen buddy. So he has someone to be friends with. Or, you can pen up the bullies for about a week, then release one at a time, until they have settled pecking order. Do this one by one. Things should calm down.
That is if you are wanting to breed now.
Feed in different spots, so everyone can eat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts