New buck!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    im getting a new buck on Wednesday !!! He is a mini alpine. But he has GREAT conformation so that's why I got the alpine. He is ADORABLE!! I'll post pics when I get him!
    I'm also possibly getting a new mini alpine doe but i haven't seen what she looks like so we will see. I do have Nigerian dwarf goats and I'm very excited to introduce great milk lined mini alpines into my herd!!

And bonus: he's gonna be 25 dollars! He is completely healthy so it is a BARGAIN. He's 4 months old

Karen Kuntz and Dwarf Dad like this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    image.png image.png image.png This is the doe! Will y'all please list the pros and cons of her?

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is hard to tell in the pictures. Best to look at her in person.

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yeah I thought so too! It's been a year since we've had a buck on the farm so I'm definitely excited!!

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    So i didnt know this until this morning, but Tilly (the doe) and saint (the buckling) are FULL brother and sister, just a few years apart... (Tilly will be 2 in December and Saint is 4 months old.) So i was thinking if i could get both and just take Tilly to her original owners or the breeder im getting saint from to get bred. Im not sure if its a good idea to keep a full brother and sister in the same herd just in case little Saint decides to brake out... What do yall think, ive never had a buck tear down fences though

7. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    That IS a bargain! I can't wait to see pictures. :)
    The doe looks pretty nice! Is it possible to have her current owners breed her before you get her? Just a thought.

If you really like them, and have strong fencing, I would get them both. I honestly wouldn't mind keeping buck/doe full siblings if they are both correct conformationally among other things.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    i thought that too goat_ scout!!!

Goat_Scout likes this.
  9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for your replies! ill have to think about getting tilly but im leaning to getting her, but i should sleep on it before i make a decision! Im REALLY excited! ive cleaned out the buck stall and got it all set up for his arrival!!

Goat_Scout likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    So the owner I’m getting saint from is gonna take tilly to get her bred. So I won’t have her for another week or so, but I’m still getting saint this week!!

11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    The buks dam that I'm getting tilly bred to image.png image.png The buck that I'm getting tilly bred to.

Old Post Farm and Goat_Scout like this.
  12. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
  13. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    you should probably get a picture of the buck's dam's udder

14. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Very hard to tell conformation in these photo's, they're not showing their best in the pics. Herd does look healthy - do you know if they are tested for at least CAE? I would get a good look at dam's udder, seeing as you are after milk production. I have a full brother and sister currently. I keep bucks separate in a very strong area and never let him out in wire fenced area he could break out of. It really is a pain, so next year I will be selling him. The pro's are getting a good look at the full sister's udder (which I dearly loved in mine as a FF this year), to see if these are genetics worth keeping in your herd. Also his progeny bred to an unrelated doe.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    We aren't getting them till Friday. That's the only time it works well for both of us...
    They do get tested for CDT but doesn't vaccine. Can I vaccine a **almost two year old and a 4 month old how I'd vaccine babies, or is it too late? the woman who I'm getting them from gets fecals done and deworms them as needed. I've been told that's these goats come from good milk lines and their mom produces 1/2 gallon at each milking! I have seen momma goats udders on her phone but they haven't been sent to me. We'll see if they work out good for us!! I hope they do!

17. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You can't test for CDT -it is a vaccine that protects against over eating disease and tetanus. Yes you can vaccinate both goats, with a CDT vaccine, sub q, then booster 2-4 weeks later, then booster once annually. CAE is a disease that can be debilitating to goats, make them lame, loose condition and crippled. You only know if they have it by blood test. It is passed through blood and milk. Not something that you want to have to deal with. Moms will pass it to kids if they nurse.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, CDT is a vaccine and they do not test for that.

Yes, you can give CDT if you do not know the history or know they did not get it.
    Never too late. I do give the vaccine to my 2 month olds.

Treat it as if they never had it before and follow up with booster, 21 to 28 days later.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  20. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    were getting him tomorrow!

Goat_Scout likes this.