The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!! I had some disappointing news and then really exciting news. I leased a nigerian dwarf buck over a month ago to breed to my nubian girls in hopes of a successful breeding... everyone said that despite the height difference, nature would find a way and he'd likely get the job done. I walked out this past Friday and sadly, my favorite of the two girls was back in heat =( The nigerian was too short to complete his mission despite having a month to do so.

Needless to say.. I posted a message in our county's facebook page looking for a buck on the fly and while I didn't find a nubian , I DID find an amazing Lamancha buck for sale! He was a 4H project goat for a young lady leaving for college, hence her needing to sell him before she leaves in the spring. I feel really fortunate because we are a small homestead and having a buck that is very easy to manage that we can use for stud services, as well as handle easily around our property, is super important! He's also really handsome!

Does anyone have any lamahca/nubian crosses with pictures to show ? I've seen the hilarious little elf ears and I'm wondering if this is the most likely outcome of any offspring?

Anyone with Nubians? I'm wondering if they still cycle into January. I'm hoping we aren't too late for a successful pregnancy. I know for sure this guy got the job done with her - He immediately walked up to my girl who had her heat (he was 4 days after the first signs so probably too late) and did the deed.

Goat management question : I know that most people separate their bucks from their does except for when it's time to breed. I had intentions of making a separate pen with his shelter ( he has one of the domes) , but after seeing his amazing disposition and how gentle he is with them and with us, I'm thinking it may not be necessary to separate them most of the year. It certainly makes it easier to keep the three of them together, and I worry less about predators knowing he is with them. Last night I tried to separate him from the girls when I put them in their shelter for the night (I close them in), and the girls went insane crying for him. As soon as I let him go in with them, they quieted down for the night. Does anyone else keep their buck with their does year round? For those of you with great herd sires, do you still separate them around birthing time to protect the late stage pregnant does from unwanted advances? And... how long until the kids are safe around the father to reincorporate them as a herd?
Side note... any tips to keep them from crying once they are separated from each other? It's absolutely terrible to hear them calling for one another! It surprised me that the girls were so upset when I separated them from him.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
He can stay until late pregnancy, but he should be removed around month 3.5 to 4 to avoid chasing due to hormones.

Some does can come into heat soon after kidding, and any doelings could cycle as young as 3-6 months. You don't want to breed young does until over a year old so he would need to stay out until you sell the doe kids. You also don't really want your adult does getting bred very soon after kidding as that is quite hard on them.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have integrated my bucks into the herd. I use an antimating apron. I put my 3 bucks in a paddock when my girls are 3 months prego. The bucks dont like being pulled for about the first 3 days. But its just guy time after that.
I dont put Dads back in until the kidds are 3 months old. Dads wear the aprons and I watch them very Closely for about 3 weeks. My bucks are 2 yrs, 2 yrs, and 10 months old. So I make sure they dont get all brutal to each other or the little ones. So my boers, & spanish go with Kinky. My Myoyonics & young crosses go with Titan . The rest young ones go with K.O. . Then when its getting close to breeding time..all non breeders ( too young) go into a non breeder paddock. The breeders stay with the appropriate bucks but are seperated into seperate pastures. And the boys are stripped of their aprons..and it starts all over again

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow..now he is awesome..I know hes a laMancha..but what do you call his color pattern? Very unique!
Thanks Moers! I saw him and thought wow, I won't have purebred nubians but he is just too amazing to pass up. And really, we are only interested in the milk quality. Registering goats and selling them for pedigrees is a bit too much of a headache for me right now!
I don't know the technical term for his coloration, but he's got moon spots and the white band is called a "belt" on cows so perhaps it's the same on goats? While his looks are pretty amazing his best quality really and truly is his personality. He is the SWEETEST!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yes SWEET & Buck are two things the Usually dont happen. Im Glad you got both! I am not into papers registrations, show, because so much of it ( they are finding out) was falsified information.
I beleive in doing the best for your goat..and improving your herd!
I was just curiouse. I love the ANDERSON RANCH dapples , moonspots, paints..and whatever they are called ..they are gorgeous. I would love to have the Premie Dapple at County Line...they are all boers and variances of color. So..You have an amazing start with your new buck! I cant wait to see what this gentleman produces!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
He is a nice one! I’m not familiar with that breed so I’ll be looking forward to hearing more from you! I kept my buck with my does at night for two months...because I am new new to this and didn’t have space. During the day we had them separated. They cried. It was crazy too. But he’s gone now because they are both pregnant and I was concerned. Plus, he was a handful for me...not with my husband...just me. I think he knew I was intimidated by his horns and bucking. But...good luck, and I love his coloring! I’d love to see pictures of the does!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is a nice one! I'm not familiar with that breed so I'll be looking forward to hearing more from you! I kept my buck with my does at night for two months...because I am new new to this and didn't have space. During the day we had them separated. They cried. It was crazy too. But he's gone now because they are both pregnant and I was concerned. Plus, he was a handful for me...not with my husband...just me. I think he knew I was intimidated by his horns and bucking. But...good luck, and I love his coloring! I'd love to see pictures of the does!
Congrats. :)
Toth, whats a normal temp for a buck? He had some green discharge but it is generally after eating and he gets 2oz of alfalfa (mixed with barley and cracked corn), so I wasn't too concerned. My thermometer just read 104 and 103.9. FAMACHA looks great, healthy stool... could this just be his baseline temp? Hes been very active with the ladies.

·
Registered
626 Posts
IMG_3749.jpg
IMG_3765.jpg
IMG_3773.jpg
IMG_3763.jpg

All are 50/50 except for the light tan doe on the right of the 2nd picture. Shes 75LM/25N. Your 50/50's should all have elf ears, i have yet in 10 years of grades have anything but. Its when you breed them up on either side that it gets fun and it could be anything. I bred a 50/50 to a purebred nubian a couple years ago...one kid had elf ears, the other pendulous. I kept the doe kid with the pendulous ears and bred her this year to a Nubian, and ill continue that line up to American Nubians. The picture with the 2 does are mother/daughter. Her first breeding (which gave me that light tan doe) resulted in two kids with gopher ears, her 2nd gave me 3 kids, all with elf ears. Colors are endless as well, the 50/50 adult does all share the same sire, just different dams. Oh, and they milk like crazy :).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts