new buckling not feeling well...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 4hmama, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I got 2 3-month old kids (siblings) about 2 weeks ago. Looked healthy when I picked them up, played, ate well...owner stated that they were UTD on all worming/vacc. The doeling is doing great...gaining weight, playing, etc. The buckling is not doing as well. He is thinner than the others, droopy, eyes are dull, a little diarrhea a few days ago. He is eating, but not with the gusto as the others. I wormed him day before yesterday with horse ivermectin (looked up the dosage on another thread), and this is his 3rd day on DiMethox. I also gave him a dose of Nutridrench this morning. He isn't down and out, but I'm just not comfortable with his progress thus far. If it is a worm issue, how long until I see benefits from the wormer? Any ideas about what else could be going on that is just effecting him and not the others? Would bottle feeding him do any good? I only wonder about doing this to help dehydration....

I would feel better if I could get him to a vet, but we don't have any vets in our area that treat goats. (I know that it may be hard for some to believe, but it's the honest truth...even the closest horse vet is 2 counties away...) Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do??

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, My thought is way did you deworm him? Did you have a fecal done? If not 1. you could be treating for the wrong worms, 2. he might not have a problem at all and that is why the dewormers are NOT working anymore. We are over medicating out animals and the worms are resistance to the medication.

What is his TEMP? I would say that you are looking at Cocci. yes the DiMethox is a good thing IF it is Cocci, and a fecal is how you tell. Any vet small or large can do a fecal. I would get some Probiotic in him or Yogurt with live active cultures to help his yummy. Does he have a friend with him or is he by himself?

Get a temp and let us know what that is so we can help a little more

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I agree I wouldn't worm unless you know what you are worming for. I would do all that sweetgoats said and add in a b complex AFTER you are done worming. Also if the nutridrench has b's in it stop using it. it slows down and hinders the process of treating cocci.

4. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I don't over-worm...I haven't given any worm meds since last year (haven't needed to). I began adding DE to the goat feed yesterday (already use on the horses - I know, some people like it and some don't) and treated with ivermec before starting the DE. I question whether or not the vacc/worming was actually done by the previous owner because of some other questionable (found to be false) statements he had made.

He isn't alone...I will go get a temperature...and try to find some yogurt to get in him...I do have electrolytes I could give.... We have TS and So. States feed stores to choose from...if they don't carry what I need, I have to order it.
    Nutridrench has Calcium, Selenium, Vit A,D,E - don't see B.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she said "we" meaning the majority of humans raising goats and other animals

Any dog or cat vet can run a fecal -- I idont always tell them it is for a goat. But I figure if I am paying they better do it! then I ask what kind of worms and treat with what i know works

6. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Temp is 101.5. Don't mean to sound defensive about the 'we' in worming...I know that it is a collective phrase, and 'we' as a group do overmedicate everything...for everything from wormer to vaccine, to antibiotics...that's why nothing seems to work anymore. I just figured ivermec wouldn't hurt since it had been so long since I had wormed everyone, and he (in particular)was exhibiting many symptoms (per listing on fiasco farm's website). I know that rounds are common in youngsters...if he didn't get wormed like he should have, I thought this might help.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    she said "we" meaning the majority of humans raising goats and other animals

8. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Thanks Sweetgoats (and Stacey)...sorry if I sounded crabby, it's been a long morning! I don't have the probiotics but will try some yogurt.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would agree that with his symptoms...being "blah" and then the diarrhea, the little guy likely has coccidia, most vets don't charge but a few dollars to run a fecal, and cocci is carried in just about any mammal, bird as well as dogs, so even a "pet" vet would see them.

His temp looks good, keep up the DiMethox and as a precaution to the other youngsters I would watch them as well. A dose of pepto will help his tummy and control the runs, hold off on the grain with him and give him just hay and try some dry oatmeal, that helps bind the poo as well. If he will take a bottle, give him some gatorade or the electrolytes....then you will be reassured that he is drinking.
    Hope he feels better soon :hug:

10. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    'Lego' seems a little better this evening...he seems to be a little more perky and is eating and playing a little.... Hopefully we will continue progressing and getting better. I'll let you know.... Thanks to everyone who helped me out...you guys are great!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Lego is a cute name! Glad that he's feeling better :hug:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    always like to hear that they are doing better. :)

13. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I hope he continues to improve! I feel ya on the vets. some are pretty rude about it (about not seeing goats) I guess too, from what I have heard!

When my little girlie was so sick, I took her to see a lady who has had goats for years and she was telling me about a vet in Charleston that she goes to. I could give you that number if you'd like. :)

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    so happy that Lego...is doing better....love hearing that....... :hug: