New Camera...

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Jul 27, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    So! I got enough to buy a Nikon Coolpix L110
    Still figuring it out, but so far I'm not impressed by the quality of the photos!! :shrug:

[​IMG]

No editing on this one, straight from the camera. most of the pics either come out washed out, or very dark... i've messed with the iso and different settings, i cannot find any manual focus either. grr!!

here's an unedited one from my old Canon Powershot SX120is which is broken. :(

[​IMG]

This nikon was supposed to be more 'professional' but I'm getting better quality through the other one.. look through my flickr page and the difference is apparent.

2. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Looks pretty good to me :)

Updating your website soon? I've been waiting to see your whole crew

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ya I see what you mean - im sorry Katrina i hope you can figure it out -- can you contact Nikon? I would show them their comparison pictures maybe there is something defective with the Nikon and they can replace it.

4. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am beginning to believe you have to buy a very expensive camera anymore to get good quality pics. Our older camera took much better pics than any of the new ones we have bought since it died. And the new ones, none of them seem to last long either.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well. is $279 expensive?? lol, I thought it was.

my other was only $179.

ugh!! Well I might take this back and get a new canon... i need pics for my site!

6. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Sometimes Kodak has some real good cameras. I have a kodak now, its only problems are it has a scratched lens that means I cant point it in the direction of sunlight and it needs lithium batteries or else it just sucks the life out of regualr batteries or rechargable batters. Argh. but well worth it.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry. I would definitely let them know what is going on with it. Although, Oct of last year I bought a backup camera - Canon Xs, and OMG I couldn't stand it! The pic quality was.....blah! I ended up selling it this past spring, and getting a used Canon 20D as a backup. It's not great, but it works when I need it too - and I use it usually when I am taking pics of the goats.

I wish I could recommend a nice point and shoot camera, but I've been using DSLR for over 3 years now so I am out of the loop. However, I've not heard many bad things about Canon, and I know a lot of people that do like the Fujifilm cameras as well. I've never been a Nikon fan....LOL But my friend that I do photography stuff with is big on Nikon.

For almost $300 you should be getting images your happy with.

But... I have to ask.
    Are you shooting in manual mode?

The settings on your new camera might be more sensative than the ones on your older one, so it could be that you need to adjust yourself to the new camera. Try taking pictures in auto or mode settings and see if your getting the same kind of results.
    I know on my Canon 20D, if I over expose a little on the meter, it's really washed out. If I over expose a little on my Canon 40D I am usually okay.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe take it back to the place you got it from... and ask them... if they can set it and show it for you?

It may just take a few setting changes for it to work properly....anything new we have to get use to ...I hope that is all it is.....but yeah... I see what you mean on quality... :thumb: :hug:

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Okay so I replied again, but deleted it after going back through your pic above on your flickr site.

You got some wild settings going on there girl!
    In your file info it says it was around 3:58pm when you took that picture? Were you in the bright sun or where you in the shade?
    First, it says your white balance: Sunny. Sunny can tend to drain a picture, and if you are NOT shooting in the sun, well then your not going to get accurate white balance in your picture.
    Secondly, and very important.....the settings themselves....

Your camera seems to be set to underexpose -2 . I know on DSLR you can control the meter even when not shooting in manual mode. So if you are shooting in 'shutter priority' you can set the meter to expose evenly or -1 or +1 and it will adjust the settings automatically to get that exact exposure.
    It's called exposure compensation - check the manual on how you can change it so your camera isn't under exposing in auto setting <it says you were in auto mode>

Was it really dark out?

ISO 1600, Shutter speed 1/1000, and F10.8 are some CRAZY SETTINGS LOL
    That would be the kind of settings a sports photographer would use!

I know you know how to take pics and I believe you normally shoot in manual? But just thought I'd say that the settings all sound really really high to me. Again, your camera is making those high settings because it is under exposing the pictures your taking <again exposure compensation will fix this>.
    Double check the white balance to make sure it fits the lighting situation.

Sharpness also says 'auto' so if you are striving for more sharpness, you need to adjust it. If you use photoshop, I'm sure you know how to use the unsharpen mask?

You might just want to read the manual, and give it a day or two and you might feel better about it. But if this doesn't work, I'd definitely get something different.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thing is. there is no manual mode, everything is Automatic..which sucks! lol, I love being able to play with aperture and such. And I'm totally lost.
    I've tried every setting, and combination, that's why it's all crazy..that's the only way I could get that shot, everything else I tried was different and that's the best one!
    I tried reading the manual but it's mostly on video, which I don't use... I'll go back through it and keep reading.

I dont have photoshop at all, usually I'll just use a generic program included in the computer for tweaking, I don't anything crazy with it. Sometimes I touch it up with my digital art tablet (like removing collars on goats, taking out telephone poles or cars)

my budget is limited to $299-$300.
    Maybe a Canon Powershot sx20 ... it's $80 more I think and everything is manual, and I've been using a similar camera for years. I just got it at Fred Meyer in town, so I don't think they were too tech savvy.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay
    well I know a little more why the image looked like..manure

my ISO WAS set to 1600, thanks for pointing that out!
    Here's a view from the computer
    [​IMG]

and after ISO was set to 80

[​IMG]

and one more

[​IMG]

these were in the shade. nothing else was changed other than the ISO

learning...learning...learning

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Definitely looks better :) I have to admit, I think I'd go crazy not having manual settings though! I also understand a budget for cameras too. I was trying to find info on exposure compensation for your camera, and saw pics - looks like a nice camera. But definitely make sure your going to be happy with it.

I regret never exchanging my Canon xs, and when I did sell it I lost $$ on it. I didn't even get 1,000 pics on it! I have probably taken around 200,000 pics in almost a year and a half with my 40D LOL -- NOT KIDDING!

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yup.. not happy without the manual settings. sheesh!! but I'm sticking with it. need to buy hay and stuff for winter.

though I looked at the 40D...wow! next time I have -lots- of extra cash laying around I'm totally buying one. :p

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I totally understand! I wanted to upgrade my camera to a 50D or 7D by mid Sept, but isn't even going to happen this year :(
    Just remember though, if you do decide to ever get a DSLR - save your $$ for your lenses, and don't overpay for the camera body. My very VERY favorite lens is the 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens, it's what most pros use, especially for sports, and it's awesome. HEAVY as heck, but you get used to the weight. That's what I use when I do my horse pics that I've posted on flickr. It's a great lens for low light <that's what I use indoors at the sales>.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, by all the hay lifting and camera haulin'..you could enter a lumberjack contest!! LOL

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!!!!!! Very true! Especially since I usually have BOTH cameras and lenses that I lug around! What's so funny is...the smaller camera/lens is the one that causes the aches! Figure that one out...LOL

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh:

Definitely looking better Katrina..... :thumb: :wink:

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I hope you are getting more practice in with the new camera. Just give yourself time to adjust, and you'll be fine :) I can't wait to see more pics, I have enjoyed your pictures very much. I don't know much about Alaska, but your pictures have me so curious, and it looks so peaceful and beautiful! Amazing how much a picture can tell you :)

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :D thanks

yep out in the country here its beautiful.. of course the cities are just like big cities down in the states, minus some of the traffic!! lol, portland Oregon was scary!!

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    here's some from..right now, the cat is still sitting outside.. waiting for me to let him in.
    this is from the computer seat..lol!! there's glare from the window though. oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]