New Cashmere does

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by raftert, Aug 3, 2009.

1. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    I just bought these two Cashmere does. They were born Feb 6th/09. I am still extremely new to goats and would love to have any feedback on them (good, bad or otherwise :) ) I am tenatively planning to brush out their coats if I can find a market up here for it (I'm in central BC Canada), but have more plans for breeding them. The breeder I bought them from suggested breeding them to a Boer for market kids, plus that fits well for a buck for my Boer does. Feedback on this plan would be great too.

Attached Files:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    maybe its just me but they dont look cashmere...maybe a boer/nubian mix, but they usually have their fiber growing in by now.

3. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    lol....well at least the plan to brush out the coats wasn't my priority. They didn't have any Nubians where I bought these two, but they definitely had Boers. Could they be Boer and Cashmere or maybe just poor quality Cashmeres? The one to the right has a very long strip of hair down her spine, but otherwise their coats look just like my other goats, maybe very slightly longer.

4. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    If you message Sweet Goats she will be able to tell you everything you want and need to know. She's been raising champion Cashmere goats for years and is so very generous with advice for all us newbies.

Blessings!
    Whatever they are they sure are cute :)

5. Oh how nice. Congrats on your new arrivals.

I agree though. Their coat should be longer I would think? Maybe not so much in the summer? Or the age? I really know nothing about the breed to make any statements but they are pretty.

6. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks, I thought they were quite pretty too. They are fairly wild, but are already improving because my other goats are so quiet. I have tried treats, but they are not confident enough yet to take them. They are dragging ropes so that I can get up to them and I have already gone from the intial 25' ropes down to 12' ropes.

7. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

To get them more friendly, perhaps feed them out of your hand. Thats what i did :):)

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I would say they have a lot of Boer in them,now that does not mean they do not have some Cashmere in them. I have one baby full of cashmere and another one with none, it all depends on when they were born. My Jan Feb babies have lost all their fiber, but the April babies have theirs still
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry about the size. The black and white one was a Jan baby and he has lost his fiber but the otherone was April and he is still in fiber.

I can not tell very well, do yours have horns?

9. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    Both of them have horns, but not growing back like a Boer's, they are like the two in the pictures you posted. Of course, my pigmy has horns like that too :shrug: . They were born Feb 6th, so maybe they have lost their fibre already then. They sure seem to have bigger and floppier ears than the ones in your pictures, could that be from having Boer in them?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad they have horns. That is VERY important for Cashmere goats as it gets hot and they do not sweat and they lose the heat from the horns.

I would guess the ears are from the Boer, because the ears you see on my goats are pretty typical for Cashmere.

11. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    Wow, I did not know that (probably because I'm new to goats :wink: ). Do all goats lose heat through their horns and none of them sweat? I can guess why this would be important for Cashmeres, with the heavy coats.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YES, all goats do, that is why I could never dehorn a goat. It does not affect the other goats like fiber goats because, yes there fiber.
    That is why I do not understand why they dehorn the Pygora goats. I have seen the Pygora goats at shows die of a heat stroke because they are in full fiber, and it is hot, I have only seen it once and that is enough for me.

13. Nah, sorry! The heat loss from horns is negligible.