new clippers for next summer

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Dec 27, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I'm looking into clippers for next summmer. Any suggestions? I have a few boer goats that I'll be clipping up a couple times a year for fair. Our mill sells Oster Golden A5 ( or something like that) for a 144 bucks. I used a pair similiar last year and they seemed to get hot after 1/2 a goat. I'd like to be able to do all 3 animals without stopping. Is that possible? Looking for guidance on brand, price and quality.

Thanks in advance!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We have Andis clippers and they are a good quality not to mention I'm pretty sure they are chieper thean Oster but I'm not 100% sure..I have had good outcomes with this brand on my Boers.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    love my golden A5 but yes they do get hot. As they get hot dip the head into a bucket/container of lamp oil. This cools and lubricates as the same time.

I strongly suggest a good horse clipper though. Osters or Sunbeam have the big clippers --- what are the called............something like variable speed.

Check on ebay, you can get used ones for much cheeper and they work just fine.

THe blades you want for the big ones are specific. SO let me get back to you on it. THey are specific but the most common size.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have the oster A5 two speed. I love mine. It does get hot but the cooling spray/cleaner they sell helps a lot.

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
  6. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Are the Oster with Chyrogenic (sp??) blades the ones that run cooler? I saw a reply about a ceramic blade in the notes below. Is the Chyrogenic blade actually cooler?

Andis clippers appear to be more for dogs than goats????

Help appreciated and thanks in advance!