NEW COLD BABY

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by KFOWLER, Jan 8, 2011.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Went out to do a barn check and my pygmy doe had a little doe kid in the birthing shed...it keeps them out of the elements but is not heated. Baby was up and eating but shivering. Should I bring baby into the house until tomorrow morning and if so should I try to bottle feed her or just let her wait until early morning?? It's gonna get very cold here tonight and for the next several nights.

2. I don't know the exact answers to your questions? I use a heat lamp this time of year, but I know alot of people don't. You could try using an old sweatshirt sleeve to put on her, or a sock with the toe cut out to slip over her to keep her warm?
    Hopefully someone with better advice will be on here.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Do you have straw or shavings? I would load the shed up with straw and/or shavings for momma and baby, and insulate the shed as best possible. If the baby is really cold, she can die so don't be afraid to take action if you think she is going to freeze through the night. You might have to end up bottle feeding her tonight and put her in the house so she is warm enough. It's really your call. If she was mine and I was very concerned about her surviving through the night, I'd definately figure out something.

Do you have a garage? Can you put mom and baby in there with a heater or heat lamp or something?

4. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I brought her in...just can't stand to see her so cold. It's supposed to be 45 here tomorrow...I will put her and her Mom in the garage for the next several nights.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    good idea and congrats on the kid!

6. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
  7. do we get pics?

8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm glad they will be nice and warm tonight. Agree with Tisie...we need pics! ;)

9. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Baby January 2010 :kidred:

Attached Files:

10. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Will do more pics tomorrow...gotta go to son's basketball tourny.

Sorry...posted the same pic!!! Will fix later!! :GAAH:

Attached Files:

11. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    SOOO CUTE!!!!!

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She is adorable!!! Congrats!!!

13. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As long as the momma and the baby aren't separated to long... so she doesn't disown her ...you will be fine.....but... if you can put them together inside ....that would be great....
    Make sure... you feel the kids tummy...... make sure the wee one is getting enough to eat....a full tummy... is best... from momma..... :greengrin:

The baby is adorable congrats..... :thumb: :love:

15. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    beautiful little baby. congrats~~!! glad she is warmer now...what a rough year for everyone... so bitter cold :shocked:

16. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Thanks!!! She seems to be doing fine...gonna bring her again at about midnite and take her back out early in the morning. That way they wont be separated for too long.

17. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Hubby made a make-shift pen out of two cattle panels for the new baby and her Momma in our garage. We have a small heater out there also. Wind chills this week are gonna make the temp feel like -10 or so!!! TOO COLD!!!! I'm ready for summer!!! :)

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad to hear that mama and baby are doing well! Little one will thrive in mama's care and being kept warm and snug will really help too!

19. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    So glad the little one is doing better....congrats