New development with Penny

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Jan 17, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Its been 3 weeks since Penny was treated for Listeria/polio? Anyhow, she still has this head tilt to the left. Tonite, I shut out the lights and all were happy eating their hay. I have the tv muted with the cam because it is raining here and the noise on the tin roof is too much....I was getting ready to turn the tv off and turned up the volume to check them before I did...Penny was really crying out, I was so scared I ran out to the barn barefoot turned on the light and it looked like she ripped the stall apart, there was bedding in her water and she was wet.

My hubby is so PO'd at me because he feels that I am looking for bad things to happen with her...anyhow, I calmed her thinking that the bird that had been in the shed scared her...I was leaving so I turned out the light, she started to holler and no amount of me comforting her would quiet her, I turned on the light and saw that she had the left side of her face practically to the floor.
    Vet says that as long as she's eating and her rumen sounds are good , she's making thiamine on her own, I gave her a thiamine tab anyhow...just for my peace of mind. Her temp is 102.6 so thats good.
    I just tried to turn the light out again and it really seems that total darkness brings this on....I AM AT A LOSS AS TO WHAT IS WRONG.
    With the light on, she's as fine as she was before, turn it off and she goes to the floor, her eyes are fine, she focuses, can see me and she can see when I have something in my hand for her.
    Any idea as to why this is happenning?

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you :hug: How scary and I would've give her thiamine too. After treating one of my does for Polio last week I'm even more observant of all their behavior. Luckily, I caught Pepper right at the beginning stages and she was instantly better within 3 hours. My husband sounds like your husband. He says all kinds of goofy things to me about how paranoid I am and that my goats are fine. I always explain to him that he's not on the goat forums like I am reading about somebody else's misfortunes. So to him I say :p :p :p I really hope it's just a lack of thiamine so she can be treated easily.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as you know Liz I am stumped as well -- but my only idea is that she is having a relapse and I a glad you gave the thiamine -- I suggest you keep it up, it will nto hurt her in anyway

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What do you mean her face was on the floor?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She was literally pressing the left side of her face into the floor....her rump was in the air. As soon as I turned the light back on she righted herself. :?

I'm seriously stumped here because with the light on, she is sleeping the way that goats do normally, she has her head to the right and is asleep, so I know there is no muscle rigidity going on to keep her head tilted to the left since she does have range of motion.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    yeah, weird. :scratch: I'd take her temp and just keep an eye on her.

7. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I know this sounds dumb -- but leave the light on? Maybe there's something in the shadows or moonlight or flickering lights or whatever that's triggering her neuro -- maybe if she had the listeria -- could it have affected her nerves? And I mean neurologically, not her nervousness :laugh: ANything like that can just drive me up a wall when I have a migraine -- maybe something's bugging her! It's so hard to figure out what's wrong with them and I always feel like I"m doing the wrong thing! Ugh!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am praying... that Penny will be OK...it must be so frustrating ..not knowing what to do...I wish I could help...but I am stumped as well... :( :hug: :pray:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh Liz.....I'm sorry.....it is so frustrating when you can't figure things out with them, I have an ear thing going on right now with 2 of mine..... :hair: ! As far as the hubby thing, mine says the same thing, that I'm a worry wart and always looking for things wrong with the boys, but they are like our children and who knows their kids best????? MOM!

Also, once you have had one sick, you tend to watch them like hawks for any and every little thing.....well, at least I do!
    Hang in there and I hope and pray she is fine!

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I went up at 7 30...Penny is as good as she was before this happened last nite. I gave hay and water, she was insistant on getting her alfalfa pellets and I shut the light out. It's really overcast here so it did leave the shed dark but not as dark as it was last nite. She ate her pellets, is now eating her hay and only mumbled when I left the shed...temp is 102.3

I'll be calling the vet here in a few minutes.
    And I already know that the listeria caused some brain damage, thats why she tilts her head and her left ear has a droop to it, she can move the ear the same as the right but when relaxed, it droops. Her eyes are fine, she can see out of both.

I was up every 3 hours with worry and I pray I can get an answer to this.

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Oh Liz :( Hopefully the vet can be of some assistance. Keep us posted!! :hug:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just got off the phone with Dr Jenkins, he told me that with the brain damage she suffered with the listeria that she is going through a "healing" process.... something with the neurons in her brain trying to communicate, anyhow he did say that it will take time for her to go through the healing process. The episode last night with the light change triggered something in her brain, she knows what she wants to do and she has no control over it, she is aware and alert but the damage that has been done is trying to fix itself and it stresses her which is why she cried out...... now I need to figure a way to put a dim night light in the shed for her to keep this from happening again and hopefully this is something that goes away. Vet did say that with any neurological issues the recovery is not immediate. :sigh:

I am so glad to have all of you here as support, I think this is going to be a long road.

I did ask the "dreaded" question as far as when a loved pets' quality of life is compromised.....he told me flat out that he would not consider that an option at all because she is being a normal goatie, eating, playing and craving attention, just to give her the time needed for recovery which may not be 100% but enough that the brain issues won't be as significant.

Having a camera is great...Thanks Stacey :hug: ...right now, my spoiled little princess has dumped her hay basket and is now laying in front of it eating :greengrin:

Now, I'm the one that needs to RELAX and let this run it's course and adjust to make any changes neccessary when the need arises to make this as comfortable for Penny as I can.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe liz :hug:

I am glad you did talk to the vet and he has given you some assurance. No I dont think her quality of life is going to be inhibited since healing is happening. YOu are doing a good job for her.

Remember Julie's doe Noel? she got butted so hard she lost sight in the one eye and other damage so she walked with a crooked neck all the way to her side? she sold her and now she is 90% or more better and the new owner said she can even breed her and her neurological issues are working out. So I feel the same thing will happen for Penny.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do remember Noel, I can recall how scary that was when it happened too.
    I just pray that anything else that needs to be "worked" out with Penny isn't something that I can't manage, it really breaks my heart to see anything in distress and theres nothing I can do to fix it.

I have a 60 watt flourescent bulb I'm going to put in the shed and hope that it helps tonight.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am still praying for Penny.... it will take time for her to heal...she went through a big ordeal..... poor baby.... :hug: :pray:

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you, at this moment she is out in the sunshine with the others, I pray that the episode that happened last night doesn't repeat itself. After dark, I will be in the barn and turn off the light, just to see, and I have the other light up there just in the case I will need to leave a light on.

She let me trim her hooves today...a bit of a struggle from my strong willed brat but thats ok with me, shows she still has her spunk.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your so welcome.... :hug: I also pray.. :pray: it doesn't repeat itself....that would be very hard... to have to endure....for her and for you... :hug:

For her being her spunky self is a good sign.... when trimming.... :wink: :hug:

18. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I happy she's doing okay. In my heart, I believe she is out of the woods, but I'll say a little prayer for her!

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As soon as I turned the light off she started crying, when I turned it on, she straightened up and was fine. I honestly don't think I will lose her I do feel that she is healthy in all respects except neurological, which I do hope with time she will be healthy there too. With the light on, it is dim enough to not light up the entire shed but bright enough to keep these attacks from occurring, the corners are in shadow and wouldn't you know it but the camera doesn't hit those areas...and thats where my brat chooses to be, out of reach of my site!
    If this is all she needs to endure for awhile, I'm fine with it as long as the light being on helps her.

20. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Hope she feels better soon. :hug: