New Doe is home

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by silvergramma, Nov 18, 2009.

1. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I bought the other doe from Gerle Ranch this week brought her home night before last.. now i need advice on trimming those toes.. omg they are long.. not the hooves but the "toes" curled up around almost to the front of the ankle..is there a quick that i have to worry about...?
    am concerned about cutting the wrong way..
    She is black and white and her name is Dottie..and she has the heart of a lion.. stomps at the dogs and dares them to step over the line..she will be getting exercise for sure..... one more to go and i'm done..
    Two more weeks to go before I can go buy the last one I want..btw,,, the sister to the one i already had.. went into heat and Dookie took right to taking care of business.. cant wait to see if it took.. April babies
    she is proven so i will be milking her.. yayyyyyyyy

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    trimming the hooves....I would trim her ...every 2 weeks ....trim a little at a time....
    Here is a great post with video to help....
    viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10393&p=132004&hilit=trimming+hooves#p132004

She is acting out with the dogs because she is unsure of them..... she is smart to say to them back off...

Glad you will be getting her a buddy..... hope she concieved and you have healthy babies.. :wink: :greengrin:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on the doe :stars:

4. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Congrats on your new doe! :stars: Hope you get Dotties hooves back into proper condition soon. I am sure she will appreciate you doing this for her as she will be much more comfortable. :)

5. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    its not her hooves that needed trimming but the two lil nubs just above there.. i did check her hooves and very little trimming needed .. i called them toes because i dont have a book or chart with anatomy.. will have to look online i guess and she is an addition to my small herd.. plenty of buddies she is a barn goat and all mine are free range with open end of barn for shelter and they go in at night..
    so thats,, Dookie the buck,, the two wethers,,two youngsters from the black nanny i gave away.. and two new mommas with two kids each from them,, then i added the sister to one of those mommas and Dottie is new to the crowd..
    all the goats except for Dookie and the two youngsters are tattoed..
    I will be going back for Cocoa as soon as rent is paid and some bills..

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am trying to figure out... what needs to be trimmed then...could it be the goats dewclaws?

If they are really long... over grown... just trim.. bits off at a time...with your hoof trimmers..but if you get to pink stop...

don't go all the way flat with it....compare it to.. another goat... that doesn't need trimming there... :wink:

Normally ...you don't have to trim them.....but sometimes... they do get overgrown and have to be trimmed..... :wink: hope I answered your question....if not... let me know... :) Good luck :hug:

7. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Yes thats it.. wasnt sure if they were dewclaws.. so new to this stuff.. but they are curled badly to the side on all four legs but, her back feet turn out a bit,, and that may be why.. she doesnt seem to have any trouble getting around,, just a rolly polly girl for sure.. i just want to be a good caregiver for all my critters.. thanks so much..

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    keep up with her feed - cut back on her food so she can loose weight and then her feet should get better. they turn out when trying to carry to heavy of a body many times

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It's OK... we all had to learn somewhere.. :greengrin: ....and we are all ..still learning ...to this day...LOL :D Stacey has good advice...sounds like... she needs to loose weight....her feet need to carry all of that ...it is hard on their feet... as well as the legs... :wink: :greengrin: Trimming her up some... will also help..... Good luck .... :wink: :hug: