The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got our first milk goat on Monday. We are all SO excited to have her. She came w/2 companion wethers also. My problem is, she apparently doesn't like my 2yr old. She has been ramming him. When we got her home Monday night we let them just stay In their pen inside and tried not to stress them out more than necessary. So Tuesday we introduced them to their pasture and then were all out there by them and my 2yr old was petting her and he was super excited which lead to being super loud and a little rough petting her. I explained he can't "pick" on her and to be more gentle. She didn't make too much of it.

The next day we were out in the pasture with them after milking and when he walked up to her, she gave him a nudge with her head. I told him to back off and not go by her. The next day we were In the barn and he was almost right next to me when we were letting them out and she headed immediately for him and head butted him and he fell to the ground and was crying! :mad: She hit him pretty hard. I scolded her, but I don't know if that really did anything. He's now pretty scared of her.

Then today when we were done milking I only turned around for 1 second to grab the wether that was heading the wrong way and she came back in the door from the pasture and ran over to him and was up on her back legs with her head down and nailed him before I could get to her. She could've seriously hurt him, he's only 2 1/2!!!!

he's now petrified of her and was crying for quite some time.
the past few days ive had him try and feed her some grain & kale and pet her real nice while she's locked up so that she sees him as being "nice" not a threat but her behavior is only getting worse towards him. She doesn't do it to the rest of us. I have an 11 yr old son also that she doesn't make anything of.
I am super frustrated as we just got her and I really wanted them to be like part of the family where we can go and pet them and be around them and now I'm not even gonna be able to have him out in the barn with me without worrying she's really gonna hurt him if I turn around for 2 seconds!

The wethers are fine with him and don't see to mind him at all.

What can I do about her???? Is she going to change her behavior or am I just screwed???
I don't want to give up yet on her but I can't have an animal around that is aggressive towards my kids. And I have 4 month old twins also so it's not like once he grows a little bigger the problem will be gone cuz I still have two more little ones.

Are all goats like this?? or is it just her? just my son???

Please help, im finding myself liking her less and less by the day and I really want to make this work if at all possible...........thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow I think if she were mine i would get rid of her. If your son can be held by some one to keep him safe put him beside the fence every time she trys to go for him whack her with a stick on the horns or nose. Or have a water hose and try to spay her hopefully that will teach her. I would not let your son go back inside the inclose with her. She sound unsafe to be around kids.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
We had a doe once, we bought her out of pity. The wife's little son would abuse the goat and his mom did nothing about it. I mean that little kid was hitting her and kicking her, once we got her home when ever a little kid came into the pasture she would try to smash them. So we started warning people and going in and holding her if someone that had little kids came in the pasture. After awhile she finally stopped smashing them she would now ever have her hair stand up on her back when ever a little kid was near. So it could be possible that she's just mean or she could have been abused and is taking it out on a smaller person.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a whole herd of nigerian and my kids age 5 and up are out there daily with them have had goats since my kids where 3. U got a goat that need to be culled eaten im sorry to say. If you want to save her good luck and dont ever let the kids in the pen tell your sure she wont her them she could easily kill them. I think i would have already did her in if she where mine. Mine responed well when smacked on the nose when i had troublesome goats. U could try the tackle like they do to bucks to show your more dominate when she trys to go after your son. Good luck

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Unless you are able to stop that behavior ASAP, she needs to go. My Boer doe is the queen and even though I have squirted her, hit her on the horns with a stick, scream "NO" at her, every so often she will challenge me and then I have to once again remind her I am the boss around here, not her. I fear the same may be true with your doe. You might get her to stop for awhile but every once in awhile she may challenge your son. She is trying to let him know she is the boss of him, like she may do to other caprine kids.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies!
I know she was never abused, as the lady I got her from raised her from a baby and would probably keep her in her house if she could!
I know he was being annoying towards her, but he wasn't hitting her or anything like that. He did try and touch her udder/teats when we were out in the pasture and she didn't like that. I made sure he didn't do that again. I think she just doesn't like the yelling and being loud. He is quite the kid!!!

I want to stick it out to see if she can improve with a smack on the nose if she does it again, but I don't want to ever in danger my kids either. He can't go in there unless I am cuz he can't get in. I just don't want to watch over my back every second and be petrified that he's going to get hurt by her seriously.

This may sound stupid but Im afraid that every goat I get will do this to him as his behavior is VERY challenging and is very hard to modify. He's just naturally a loud and hyper child. on the other hand, I also have never been a fan of keeping unsafe animals around. Growing up on a dairy farm if we had a cow that kicked or was dangerous when she calved, she went on the truck!
I only have her and her 2 companions and have spent tons of money on getting her and all the supplies that you need for a goat. And making fence was probably the most expensive part. Anyways, not saying that the safety of my family is less important than money, but seriously, who is going to want a goat that can't be around kids???? I'll never be able to sell her and she's a really nice Show quality Oberhasli Registered Doe!

I think ill give it another week and really work on her and see if I can get her a little calmer. Is it maybe because she's stressing about her new environment since we just got her???
Or is it just her???
thanks again, I had a bad feeling when she did it once she isn't going to stop, and now you have all confirmed that for me.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
If she was at her other farm since a baby, then there is no doubt that she would be stressed about being in a new environment. Then add a child who scares her even further. I would give her a little time and not have your son in the pen at all and give her time to get used to being at your place. Then take it from there.

I would have to say that I couldn't guarantee the calmness of my goats around small children because we don't have any and my goats are basically only around me.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
when we first brought our Nigerian Buck home..he was born and raised in his home too..he would bash at us..I never had a goat be aggressive like that...I was a little set back by it...but he was so stressed and scared...it took a week for him not to challenge us..he's still shy but a lovable bug..she may just need time...allow her to get to know her new home before introducing her to your son again...then do short visits..with a treat in hand..(WASA crackers are great treats)...:D

·
Registered
867 Posts
My 6 yr old I swear has ADHD very loud always getting into something/climbing in something. I've cough him chasing the goats and screaming at them. Yes he was punished for it. And my goats have never challenged him. So if thee is goats that can put up with my son then there has to be goats to put up with yours. Maybe the next goat u buy ask has she been exposed to kids if she is used to a quiet life that could case her to stress.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 6 yr old I swear has ADHD very loud always getting into something/climbing in something. I've cough him chasing the goats and screaming at them. Yes he was punished for it. And my goats have never challenged him. So if thee is goats that can put up with my son then there has to be goats to put up with yours. Maybe the next goat u buy ask has she been exposed to kids if she is used to a quiet life that could case her to stress.
thank you for this!!! I was thinking the exact same thing.....im pretty sure my son has some type of behavioral issue but he's a great kid and we love him no matter what, so we just have to find a way to affectively parent/discipline him. I don't want a "label" on him. It's funny, that kid can go and go and go without EVER slowing down. And talk about having to watch him like a hawk! Before we had the goats I was getting their pen ready in the barn and I was bedding it and within a minute, he had climbed up the rickety ladder to the Hay mow! im not sure how he even got up there, the steps are very wide apart and it's hard for ME to even get up there!!! :eek: Anyways, back to the subject at hand.........

when he was yelling and screaming and being unruley he had to immediately leave and wasn't allowed out in the barn until the next day. but apparently the damage was already done in the eyes of my Doe he's a nusence. (sp?)

But you are all right, it's probably the stress. He can't get in by them unless he would crawl thru the Electric fence. (which he MAY actually try given his daredevil attitude, but highly unlikely) and the barn door to get out to the pasture is locked WAY on top that I can barely reach. So unless im out there, he can only pet them thru the gate that isn't electric. And they can always run away from him if they want. However Im not going to let him go over at all for a few more days.
Then I will try and have him sit on a pail or something quietly in the barn while im milking her and maybe she will stop seeing him as a challenge and leave him alone.

I want to give it some time and possibly resolve the issues, either that or it's on to a Cow like I wanted to get in the first place. (and since i'm a cow person I have a lot more experience in that area.) but I am growing fond of the goats, despite her attitude! :D :D :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think it's just too much too soon. A new environment and a high strung child are all putting her on the defensive. I would keep your son out of her reach. Find a treat she absolutely goes crazy for and have only HIM give her the treats. This way she will associate his crazy behavior with her treats and will slowly become accustomed to him and his movements and high pitched voice. Just a thought!

·
Registered
818 Posts
My Alpine yearling is usually an absolute sweetheart to all people. In fact, she still loves to sit on my lap. :) She is definitely the herd queen though, and can be very pushy with other goats. I was very surprised when she rammed my 3 year old cousin last month. She has never doen that to anyone before, and loved my cousins last year. I am not going to get rid of her after one incident, but it was still very surprising.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
To her, your son is acting like a freshly weaned kid goat. She is warning him off and telling him who is boss, just like she would any other kid. I agree it was way too much too fast. You will need to break the pattern that they have already developed.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree with what has been said. (Well most of it) Give a few weeks to settle in before you let your son in again. And when you do, make sure he is quiet and calm. If he's not, take him out of the pen.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
To her, your son is acting like a freshly weaned kid goat. She is warning him off and telling him who is boss, just like she would any other kid. I agree it was way too much too fast. You will need to break the pattern that they have already developed.
i absolutely agree your child is probably the same size as a kid and the doe is still stressing over not having her own. this may or may not be resolved as she gets ued to her new home. when you introduce new goats to a herd there is always a pecking order establishment period. good luck

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
She let you know this was coming. When you told your son to back off after she threatened him, that gave her total power over him. Had you instead punished her right then for it, this would never be an issue.

Your son is going to have to get the upper hand on her now, which will be tough because he's only a baby. I say, get a wiffle bat, carry him, but hold him out in front of you, and chase her the heck around! Let him whack her with the bat a couple times to get her running. SHe needs to learn that he is the dominant and be humbled by him right now, else, she will really really hurt him. THere is NOTHING wrong with her being scared of him. SHe will learn to trust him again, but right now she needs to learn that he is tougher than she is.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My father would say that she needs to go to the "board of education". i agree with that you need to break this habit quick, and the board of education. she needs to learn that you will protect your kid too!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I too have a doe that's hair raises on its back and it will nudge at the fence when my son is around. He too is hyper and loud, we just don't allow him around the animals by himself. She acts like this to no one but him. Best of luck to you. I hope as my son grows that she will act different toward him (he is only 3).

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Just my two cents here , but I think maybe the child is eye level with the doe and somehow challenges ( unknowingly of course ) her.
Some thing in the back of my mind keeps telling me that him being in your arms and feeding them and such would help matters , idk.
But how scary that must have been for you to see her do that to your baby ! WOW !

This just happened today with my Alpine who is the herd boss here.
We had visitors come to see Hallie our baby doeling , well , Skyla's baby doeling , and we were all in the barn because it was raining at the time. I have two stalls and one large area. Mocha and her baby were in their stall and one doe was stalled next to her , the rest were in the large area. Janeen was standing petting Mocha's head and looking in on the baby. Tricky came over and was giving her the once over and checking pockets for cookies , bananas , the usual stuff one carries with them ;) She nipped at her clothing as usual trying to pull buttons off and Janeen just gently pushed Tricky's nose away and petted her saying "I have nothing for you sweetie" , she was very gentle . We stood there talking and to my total surprise Tricky lightly head butted her ! But strong enough to knock her off balance. The stall door thankfully stopped her from going down completely. I would have sworn on my life none of my goats would ever do something like this !!! I was literally so shocked at this I had to physically pick up my jaw !!! I quickly put her on a lead and just held her till they left.
I noticed Tricky give me a sidewards glance with her head as if to challenge me when I was giving the herd their selenium one day. But I blew it off because I figured she just didnt want to be caught , at all. But now that I think about it , I think she was challenging me :( Im sorry for this long post , I think these behaviors develop in some as they get older , but maybe some breeds are more predisposed to
them ? The "born leaders" need to know that their title only means something to other goats and not us humans.

I do agree with the others that say give it time. Maybe it was just too much too soon for her and she was overwhelmed.
But , if you see this not changing , you rehoming her would be in your best interest. But do share this info with her new owners .
If not , butcher her , nothing else you can do and you wouldnt want her to end up in the wrong hands that would torture the poor thing because its "fun".
Good luck and I hope your son feels better and regains his confidence around her one day :)
Your in the right place for help though , glad your here :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yes, you need to let her know that she is NOT the boss of people. One of my bucks, who is a total sweetie unless he is in rut, HATES my younger brother, who is nine. It's like a dominance thing. So when my brother goes into the buck pen, we have him carry a riding crop, so he can give our buck a nice thwack on the face if he is being mean... It really minimizes the head butting and chasing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts