New doe wont touch her hay

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Allipoe, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    So the Nubian I bought yesterday evening, she is nibbling her grain,minerals, alfalfa pellets, and likes her cookies...but the booger will NOT touch her hay. Shes picked at it a bit, as I can see some long peices pulled out, but nothing major. I know she HAS to have that. I gave her a dose of probios tonight, hoping that will maybe settle her down but I am starting to get concerned for her gut.

Any suggestions?

2. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Could you get a little of the hay she is used to eating from her old home and try that? If she eats that then maybe you can slowly switch her over to what you feed. I don't know if that's possible for you, or if it would even work, but it might be worth a try if you can. Good luck!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...try a hay ...that she is use to.....Or try Alfalfa.....

She may also be bullied and uncomfortable.... I would try to move her in a pen with a docile goat friend to eat...she may feel better and eat.... it will take a while to get established into the herd.... right now ....she is unsure.... scared...
    Although..... if you think she is sick....take her temp....

Giving probiotics was a good idea...also give her baking soda...and if you have some nutra drench ....I'd give that to...... Also... if you have vit B complex ...that will help stimulate appetite ....to get her to eat more.... :wink:

4. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I dont have B complex atm... I will put out some baking soda once the rain stops (mineral bucket is outside. >.<), and offer her some drench in the AM too. Shes quieted down a good bit since the Probios, so hopefully they are helping her feel better and maybe she will eat the hay!!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck with her.... poor girl...she is all alone...sort o speak...if you can pen her up with a buddy...a docile goat....for a while ...then... reintroduce her to the herd...it will make it easier.... to have a friend to go to.... :wink:

6. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    So as an update:

This morning she gave me 5 cups of milk. Woohoo! And nibbled on her grain in the stand. When we went back outside to her pen I put one of my most preggers does in with her (Cachet, ND) who is pretty easy going. The competition made her want to chase her off the hay I threw on the ground, and she ate some!! Huzzah!

But if I walked away, she would stop. >.< So I had to stand out there with her for about 15 minutes until I felt like she had eaten a good bit. Its not a ton, but she ate it, and hopefully will make her rumen feel better. And once she feels better I am hoping she will eat the hay on her OWN better. I will give her more probios this afternoon, because I really think that helped her feel better.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she sounds lonely and missing her herd she came from -- this happens and if you can give her some extra attention in the next couple weeks that will help her settle in