The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm brand new here, but I've been lurking for a while, trying to learn all I could before my goat kidded. I have a grade Saanen doe, 1year old, who gave birth yesterday without help and without making a peep. I went out to feed her and check on her and there she was with an adorable little doeling all dried off already and placenta passed. I tried to help the doeling nurse because her momma kept trying to brush her off, and she seemed like she was able to, and I went out later to check and help her again, but she wasn't interested and her belly looked round already, but this morning, her belly looks emptier and I got her to nurse, but it was only a tiny bit, like a minute, then she wasn't interested. I milked the momma goat on both teats for a few minutes and got milk out, but my questions are:
1. Her milk was white already, didn't look like I've heard colostrum does, is that a problem?
2. How often should I go out and make sure the little one is nursing? I was going to try for 3-4 times per day until I'm certain sweetpea(the doe) is letting her.

Sweetpea hasn't been too bad, I think the letdown sensation is what makes her brush the little one off, and she is otherwise a very good mother. I have a cow/calf pair as well, but they are separated from the goat/kid pair. Thanks for any advice!
Stephanie

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Welcome to Goat Spot!!!

Colostrum is not alwaya yellow or creamy...I find my Saanen have whiter color...its fine..good job onmaking sure baby is eating
I would keep going out ever 2-3 hours to be sure baby is no hungry...little ones can go down fast without food...sounds like she is getting plenty as long as she is not letharic and sunken in I wouldnt worry...
the brush off might be that moms udder is uncomfortable...go a head and milk her out to releive the pressue...keep her comfy...we have to milk our gal 2 times a day to keep them comfortable in the beginning...especially when her real milk comes in...you can begin drinking her milk as soon as her colostrum is done...could be 3-7 days..each goat is different..but you will know..colostrum milk taste gross lol:D
best wishes

·
2,203 Posts
Hi! I'm brand new here, but I've been lurking for a while, trying to learn all I could before my goat kidded. I have a grade Saanen doe, 1year old, who gave birth yesterday without help and without making a peep. I went out to feed her and check on her and there she was with an adorable little doeling all dried off already and placenta passed. I tried to help the doeling nurse because her momma kept trying to brush her off, and she seemed like she was able to, and I went out later to check and help her again, but she wasn't interested and her belly looked round already, but this morning, her belly looks emptier and I got her to nurse, but it was only a tiny bit, like a minute, then she wasn't interested. I milked the momma goat on both teats for a few minutes and got milk out, but my questions are:
1. Her milk was white already, didn't look like I've heard colostrum does, is that a problem?
2. How often should I go out and make sure the little one is nursing? I was going to try for 3-4 times per day until I'm certain sweetpea(the doe) is letting her.

Sweetpea hasn't been too bad, I think the letdown sensation is what makes her brush the little one off, and she is otherwise a very good mother. I have a cow/calf pair as well, but they are separated from the goat/kid pair. Thanks for any advice!
Stephanie
1-Colostrum especially from FF is virgin territory for them. It's not as good of quality as an older doe, due to the simple fact an older doe's body has been exposed to more elements and knows what it's doing and what the babies need. Many FF make just creamier milk, nice white as their colostrum. Coconut, my last FF made beautiful golden colostrum but Cotton, her sister's was slightly thicker and sticky but white as could be. It's ok. :)

2-Personally I get really paranoid about newborn's health and post kidding stress/ailments on momma so I check WAY more than I should. To be comfortable, I would at least check every 3-4 hours for a first few days if possible. Also intervene and hold the doe to ensure peace of mind for you and full tummy for baby.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much, I have been checking on them every few hours and giving the little one the opportunity to nurse while I'm there and sometimes she needs to, other times she has already eaten. I don't think Sweetpea's milk has come in yet, she has a bit, but doesn't seem overly full and I milked out the neglected side and it got where milk stopped flowing, but it didn't look any smaller. I am enjoying them so much, they are so cute together, calling each other whenever they get out of sight of each other:) thanks!
Stephanie

·
14,615 Posts
They only nurse for several seconds a bajillion times a day but great job checking on her.
The other day I timed the 3 mo olds, 14 seconds.
Congrats on your new baby!

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
sounds like things are coming along nicely : )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts