New Fainting babies and need help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Fainters, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    These babies really were a surprise and were born 12/17 on the coldest night we have had (20 degrees). I bought their mother in September and she was in very poor health. I wormed her with Valbazen and a week later she was bleeding quite a bit so I assumed that she must have been pregnant and the wormer made her abort. She was so underweight that when she started gaining weight I thought it was just because she was finally being fed well. On Sunday she was limping so I put her by herself in the lot. The next morning I went out and she had these two babies. I immediately put them in a stall under the heat lamp and they are doing great BUT mom hasn't eaten since she kidded. I gave her B12 and Probios after she wouldn't eat the first day but she still hasn't perked up. She eats hay but no feed at all. She doesn't look sick but I am worried that she won't keep producing milk if she doesn't eat feed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do for her to make her appetite come back?

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/[​IMG]

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I am moving this to Caprine Special Care.

What color are her eye lids? Pale or pink? Did she seem to have a hard kidding? Did she pass the afterbirth? If she hasn't passed it yet I'd say that would be the cause of her not feeling well. Have you offered her warm molasses water? Or given her nutridrench? Keep giving her B shots and the probios. What's her poo like?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well congratulations. They are adorable. Now that is a SURPRISE.

What I would do is give mom some Calcium. If you have pills that you take, crush them up as fine as possible. She will eat a lot of it. Also make sure she has Molasses water and as much as she would like. I make mine warm. Give her some oatmeal with a little molasses in it, and ANY treat that she will eat.
    Do you know if she had passes the placenta? Does she have a temp?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a simular situation with Misty this past year. Took her a couple days to start eating.

I wouldn't get to alarmed if she is eating hay but I would continue to give her B complex (shot or orally) and the above mentioned things by goathappy.

With Misty she wouldn't eat because she was to intent on watching her kid and couldnt separate herself. I think it took her 3 days to actually start eating.

Do you know if she likes any special treats?

congratulations on the surprise cuties though

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    They are adorable! at this moment I cannot add anything as far as what you should do. Good luck!

6. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    Her eyelids are bright pink and she has been wormed in the last month. I gave her nutridrench also. I am not sure about the afterbirth since she kidded outside and I never saw it. She has no swelling or nasty discharge or smell. No fever also. She was never petted or given treats before I got her so she will not take anything out of my hand. I put out mineral and baking soda and she hasn't touched that either. She is drinking about 1/2 gallon of water a day and eating a big flake of hay but she just sniffs her feed. The babies seem to be getting enough to eat and were playing this morning. She is just acting so different from my other does because they eat ravenously, that it concerns me. This is a picture I took of her this morning.

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/
    [​IMG]

7. heidi19

heidi19 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    :lol: They are so cute, hope the mom is doing much better, just keep the Molasses water coming and the oatmeal. Try some animal crackers and raisins, mine love those when the are off their feed. Keep us posted on Mommy, maybe she isn't use to all your good care yet. :roll: (heidi19) Jan

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The babies are so cute, and momma is very pretty also! I love the white over the nose of the black one - it looks like a milk mustache!

I hope that she gets feeling better!

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It sounds like calcium deficiancy to me, get her on some CMPK, even if its not a calcium problem this will help her system tremendously. She doesn;t need a lot justa couple of cc's I like the paste form best, it comes ina big yellow tube. She will fight you a lot as it doe burn a little. but you will be amazed at what it can do in just a few hours. If you cant get that get a few tums with calcium down her. you can also start her on some penicillian in case its an infection. Did you give her molasses water when you found she had kidded?
    Hope this helps
    beth

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would like to suggeest some other way to get Calcium in her. Not saying the other way is bad but this is actually for goats. I have a bottle of goats prefer Calcium drench. I got mine at TSC but if you can't find it I would go ahead and give her the other.

What kind of grain are you feeding her? I had a doe that wouldn't eat for me either so I gave her a taste of my other goats' grain and she ate it so I mixed some in her grain and that got her eating again.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    OMG that little black baby is the cutest thing!!!!

WOW they certainly were a surprise! I would sau give her some calcium. And see if that will help.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sparks post reminded me of another goat I had in the past. She wouldn't eat grain either and was diagnosed with a calcium deficency. We gave her a calcium supplement that was labled for cows but it perked her up in a matter of days (mind you she was in REALLY bad shape when I got her) I gave it to her for a couple days. Every year after kidding she went through the same thing you are describing with your doe and I would give her only one dose of the calcium and she would be back to her old self in no time.

Good call Beth now I know what to do with Misty if she acts that way again come kidding.
    I bought the CMPK last year just to have on hand because someone told me the stuff I do have isn't as good for goats.

13. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I would give her warm molasses water. That always seems to help perk up my does.

14. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    UPDATE

I made up a molasses/calcium drench last night using some calcium pills I had for myself and gave her 60 cc's and another 40 cc's this morning. She ate a small handful of her feed last night and this morning she ate almost her whole ration. I never would have thought about the calcium. I will go get the real drench to keep on hand in case this happens again. Do I need to keep giving her some or can I quit now that she is eating and looking perkier?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well that is great to hear!

I will let sparks879 reply to your question because I dont really know

16. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thats great to hear she's better :)

18. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Woo, hoo good to hear. Not sure on wether you need to continue maybe someone else knows.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    As long as she goat what she wanted that is all you will need to do. I had this happen one year and I just crushed up the calcium pills to a powder, and I let her eat as much as she wanted, and that snapped her back. I never had to give her any more. I went and bought the tub so I had it on hand.

I am glad to hear she is improving.

20. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Because she still appears thin, I would give her a couple of Tums, or a bit of the drench every day; because of her state, she will be more likely to lose calcium than a healthy goat will, and that she is feeding twins, will drain her system even more; Keep her Calcium level up...otherwise she could wind up going up and down throughout her lactation.