The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We are new to goat farming and have a small herd of ND goats. We purchased a new goat this Saturday who is in milk and had kids in November (she's 3). She was still with her kids when we purchased her so we didn't get much milk Saturday. She produced quite a bit Sunday, approx a quart. This morning we got maybe 8-12 ozs and she was definitely not full. She had been a full 12 hours between milking. She seems to be struggling a bit with the transition, blatting a lot (which we expect, especially since she was separated from her kids for the first time) but could this be part of the reduction in supply? I just went out and checked her again, its been about 8 hours since last milked and I am not anticipating her being full when I milk this evening either. She is given free range second cut hay, sea kelp, sweet licks and grain (I'd say approximately 2 lbs) a day. Any tips to increase supply? I am assuming if this is the stress of the transition, she will increase on her own as she adjusts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She definitely needs time to adjust to her new home. She is very stressed.
Thank you! That is what I was assuming, being new to this I just wanted to verify with people that have significantly more experience. I expect the adjustment period to be a bit longer than our other goats given the circumstances - she's a sweetie and calms down when we are out there but is definitely very stressed. Do you have any recommendations to help ease that? I know we probably just need to wait it out but we treat our goats like our own kids and it breaks my heart!

·
8,066 Posts
Just give her lots of love and attention. (and Vitamin B complex and probiotics!) She is probably pretty traumatized being taken from the kids. (but they get over it). Do the other goats accept her, yet? Welcome to TGS.
:holidaywelcome:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts