The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've hired a fencing company to fence my goat area. It will be Redbrand woven goat fence. My question is, how high should I have them place it off the ground? I thought it would be good to be able to mow under it, but I don't want to allow a predator to be able to get under when there are kids in the enclosure. What do you do?

·
Registered
361 Posts
We put ours as close to the ground as we could. The goats keep it trimmed pretty well, and you can always use a weedeater on the other side if you need to. In our case, we knew we were going to be breeding our girls, and we didn't want there to be any chance that the babies would wriggle out under the fence. In spots where the ground dips and the fence does quite reach the ground, we placed large rocks to block any openings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Every reference I found before I built my red brand non climb fence said put the fence on the ground. Ida goat is gonna try to escape, he's gonna try to go under first.

I also strung hot wire six inches from the bottom along the outside, then another inside and one about 4 feet high as well to discourage leaning. This wire keeps them from messing with the fence but it also means the weeding is my job.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My question is, how high should I have them place it off the ground?
I would have them put it right on the ground at the very least. If possible, bury about a foot of it to help prevent digging under it. If it's high enough to mow under it, the kids and young goats can - and will - go under it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think the rolls are 4 foot if you bury a foot that would leave 3 foot making it easy to get over the to,I would not bury any,but just my opinion

·
Registered
69 Posts
A strand of barbed wire on the ground on the outside of your fencing will discourage predators from digging inside ... That's what they do around here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Question: I have 5 strands of Electric fence. My first strand is about 7"-8" inches off the ground and then spaced about 8" apart with the highest one being about 4 1/2 feet I think. Is that sufficient to keep the predators OUT and my Goats IN?? The lady that im getting her from has High-tensil electric and she said she is really good with the fence but the 2 little guys im getting as companions got under it when they were little. they are about 6 weeks older now so im assuming a lot bigger. Will that keep them IN??

We have a dog so im more concerned with keeping my dog OUT- I assume a good shock from the Fencer once or twice will "fix her wagon!!"

·
Registered
128 Posts
Question: I have 5 strands of Electric fence. My first strand is about 7"-8" inches off the ground and then spaced about 8" apart with the highest one being about 4 1/2 feet I think. Is that sufficient to keep the predators OUT and my Goats IN?? The lady that im getting her from has High-tensil electric and she said she is really good with the fence but the 2 little guys im getting as companions got under it when they were little. they are about 6 weeks older now so im assuming a lot bigger. Will that keep them IN??

We have a dog so im more concerned with keeping my dog OUT- I assume a good shock from the Fencer once or twice will "fix her wagon!!"
The reason I have hot wire outside the red brand fence is to prevent predators from climbing the fence, mainly because I have poultry in the same pasture and there are a lot of raccoons here. . Your fence would probably keep out most dogs and coyotes.

But I've read many times that five strand electric is just not enough for goats. Perhaps someone here that has success at that can comment.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
7-8" off the ground is not sufficient to keep them in if they want out. Kids as old as 3-4 months can go under ankle height fences - trust me on this. :laugh:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have 4 strands I bought the gray and black plastic posts from tractor supply and works well,kids learn fast what a hot fence us

·
Registered
116 Posts
1. Put the woven wire fence on the ground. The others are right in that you want to prevent predators and goats from going under the fence. You can either weed eat along the fence or poison it.

2. 5 strands of hot wire starting 7 inches off the ground is not going to work. You need that bottom strand about 4 inches off the ground and you need a few strands over that spread out about 4 or 5 inches each.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The 4 or 5 strands of hot wire will work,I have boers and first strand is 6 or 7 inches off ground,then others are about 6 inches,this will keep goats in,I k ow it keeps dogs out,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts