New from Alabama

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Denasfarm, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Denasfarm

Denasfarm New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi Im new to the forum and goats. We got our first goatlings 3 days ago. They are twin girls about 7 weeks old.
    The friends we got the from did not know what type they are so I was hoping someone could help out on breed.
    They look just like mom, Dad is also black and white BUT has long hair. (he just showed up on their farm and moved in)
    I was hoping to use them for milk and cheese next year.
    The guy at the feed store said not to worm them for another couple of weeks, does anyone have a schedule to follow.
    Anything else I should know? or do? or not do?
    I will try and get some standing pics later tonight. My teens wont put them down for long they just pass them around.

THANKS
    Dena

[​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    welcome from wasilla!

:thumb: congrats on the goats!!
    not quite sure on the breed, i'm thinking a cross though.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome - to The Goat Spot!!!

The babies look like a mix (and gorgeous at that) - but I can't really tell unless they are up running around to look at height, body, and confirmation.

I personally would be taking a fecal in and worming appropriately. there is no reason why you can't worm if they have something going on.

As you think of questions - be sure to ask and again, welcome!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    gorgeous kids (all 4)

Yup you can worm whenever they need it. See if you can take a stool sample to a vet to have them run it for cocci and worms. Then once you know what kind of worms they have (if any) then you can find a wormer that works for that specific worm (tapes - use safeguard for 3 days other worms you can get away with ivermectin) unless it is cocci dont buy anything to treat them from the vet as it will be more expensive then buying it yourself.

as to any questions or raising techniques .... ask away.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!! You'll love it here!! :cool: Your little kids look like boer crosses to me...they are very cute!

6. Denasfarm

Denasfarm New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Heres some better pics. They have eared and non eared goats and their long haired father is also their grandfather.
    Their mother has ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very mutt goats but adorable!! probably a nubian mixed in there because of the slight flop to the ears. Love their colors

8. Denasfarm

Denasfarm New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    What do I look for if somethings going wrong? I have had chickens for years and can tell if something is amiss. They seem happy, hopping all over, eating, solid poo and all...look okie dokie. Are they one of those animals that hide sickness till its too late or can I tell right off?
    I think they need their feet trimmed a bit, is there a "how to" I can look at?

Will they be OK as milkers? I assumed I could milk any breed?!? (and free twins was nice) What should I breed them with later? Obviously not their father! Boer, Nubian or a Mini breed?

OH and can they get fleas like a dog? I put them in an old dog pen so they would have a house and IF so can I use frontline on them?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Things to notice if they are not feeling well: ears will droop, tail will be down, eyes may have some drainage and you will want to check their temp. Normal temp is 101.5-104 but in the winter if it is above 103 then they have a fever.

you can breed them once they are old enough to be bred to a mini I would presume - that way you are on the safe side just in case. Now if they grow huge then you can breed to any large dairy breed of your choice. Yes not to their dad would be good.

You most certainly can milk them - their production will be determined by what breeds they are and if they are mini mix or not. But you should get a fair amount either way.

I wouldn't put frontline on them I have never seen fleas on goats :shrug: . They can get lice though but their lice can't be transfered to humans so if you do see lice then just treat for it (multiple things you can use).

10. Welcome! :wave: :stars:

Glad to have you, real nice goats.

I was thinking maybe a little Myotonic blood in there. The color face and ears remind me of some percentages I have seen. :scratch: :shrug:

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome!! I think you'll like it here! ;)

They do look like Nubians. Possibly some Kiko? :shrug:

Anyway welcome to TGS!! :)

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WELCOME from SW PA!

Adorable doelings! Kids too :hug:

The color pattern can be anything from Nubian, Boer, Fainter or Nigerian Dwarf, those adorable ears are suggesting there is either Boer or Nubian in their blood.....and yes, ANY goat can be milked, but those with dairy background will give a good deal more.

As they grow you will be able to tell wether they have a miniature goat in their lines, breeding them will be determined by their age and weight.

Please have a fecal done before you decide to worm, otherwise you will be wasting a med not knowing what type of parasite to treat them for.

Glad to have you, and please feel free to post any questions you have :)

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    heinz 57 goats :thumb:

both look good, are they both does?

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    im thinking myotonic or kiko.. if you want babies for future milkers i'd go nubian.. if you want babies in the future for food, i'd go boer

15. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Dena, Just some advice from a meat goat breeder, but learn how to do the FAMACHA check and do fecal egg counts when you get a chance. We have 82 nanny goats and do a famacha check about every 2-3 weeks to check for anemia caused by the barber pole worms. You can also do random FECs to determine the worm load on the herd (no matter how small!) Watch for listlessness and a rough and dull hair coat and give them the vaccinations that they need. We use Cavalry 9 for the overeaters idsease, which can take a toll on the goats before you know it. If you stay on top of the vaccinations and keep a sharp eye on the goats they should live long and happy lives.
    Be at peace and call if you need to, Fred V.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome.. :wave: .....and congrats...... on your new pretty goats..... :thumbup: :greengrin:

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad you are here :wave: . Congratulations on two beautiful goats.