New from Arizona

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DVentHill, Apr 16, 2010.

1. DVentHill

DVentHill New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hello everyone :wave: I am pretty new to goats but I don't think I have ever been so nuts about an animal before :stars: My husband thinks I'm crazy!! It took me awhile to talk him into letting me get goats and the only way he finally gave in was me agreeing to raise meat goats.. I was a little bummed about the having to butcher some of them but its all about compromise right?! lol SO I started in January and I now have 18 goats as of today. I have 14 that are mixed with Nubian, Toggenburg , Nigerian and Pygmy so they r quite a mix.. 7 are does , a tiny guy gets to stay a pet and 6 are meat goats.. Then I have 4 that are Boer and Nubian. 3 does and 1 breeding buck to cover all the does. I am supposed to go look at some more Boer does this weekend. :leap: Boers are may favorite .. I wanted to buy a registered Boer buckling and 2 registered Boer doelings and my husband said OK until I told him how much lol I'm still trying to talk him into it :pray: So if anyone has any full blood Boers near Bouse, AZ let me know =) Even if I can't have them I would love to meet them! I'm very happy to be here and hope to learn a lot!! Plus its nice to meet people who love goats too and won't just think I''m crazy!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from North Idaho! I raise Nigerians, Nubians, and Myotonics (for meat). We LOVE goat meat and if I know that I have kids born for that, I have a tendency not to socialize them --- makes it so much easier.

3. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Welcome from Colorado! It's always a joy to meet someone who is so enthusiastic and passionate about goats! :cool: This forum will be perfect for you, no one is crazy here becuase we all LOVE our goats!

I raise cashmeres, I've raised a couple boers before but my main production is cashmere = )

Can't wait to get to know you! :thumb:

4. DVentHill

DVentHill New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Thanks guys!! Yeah, I agree and I don't want to socialize any of my goats that are going to be meat :sigh: I think it will make it easier on me more then anything else. I really had no clue I would love goats so much until I met this lady Rhonda and she breeds meat goats.. I went over to help out with the new kids and work with her does for a few months and now I'm hooked. They are so funny to watch. They can be so peaceful and relaxing and affectionate. All of my does already fallow me around every where I go lol I think its the greatest thing ever that when they see me they go nuts like "Hey, we are over here!" My husband and I have 4 kids ages 6, 5, 4 and 2. My kids love to help me feed the goats and play with the goat kids.. My goat kids like to use me as the mountain in king of the mountain and my children think its the funniest thing ever :ROFL:
    We had goat meat for the first time about 3 months ago and I loved it so much!! It reminded me of a milder dear meat. :doh: made me feel even worse that I love goats so much but I guess I just two good things out of one!

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Try making stuffed bell peppers but with goat - oh my GOSH - it is sooo good

6. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Greetings from New Mexico nearly neighbor! :wave:

7. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Welcome from eastern Ohio! :wave:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome :wave: We are so happy to have you here.

I personally can not eat goat meat. No way. Maybe becasue I never had it as a kid, and I could not eat those adorable things.

I raise Cashmere also, in Colorado.

Now we need pictures.

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to the group! :wave: My mom has LOTS of Boer kids right now. :) LOL

10. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Welcome! This is a great place for information and support.
    :wave: -Tina

11. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    Hi! Im new too, nice to meet ya!

12. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hi and welcome to TGS! :stars: Passion about goats is a good thing-yep, you fit right in here. :clap:

13. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Hello and welcome from NE Ohio!! :wave:

14. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Welcome! I'm in Phoenix for a few more months :)

I do know a girl near me with two full blood boer bucks with papers. 200 for a disbudded buck with 1.5 enob. points, and 350 for horned, proven buck. Less without papers, and she have bucklings too :) Good luck!

15. DVentHill

DVentHill New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Thanks for all the welcomes everyone :love: You all have beautiful goats!!!! I will have to see about getting a new camera so I can put up pic's of my herd! I have learned ALOT in the last few days thank you so much!!! :wahoo:

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome ...Welcome ...glad you are here.... :wave: :greengrin:

17. Glad you found us. WELCOME WELCOME...well learn and share alike!

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from PA :wave:

I raise nigerians and nigi/pygmy crosses....have nothing against eating a goat but would rather enjoy the milk first :greengrin:

19. DVentHill

DVentHill New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    lol Yeah, we kinda only plan to eat the boys who won't be used or sold as bucks. None of the girls will become food lol They are lucky one who get to be my spoiled goats who make babies and get milked or get sold.. They may not be the best for dairy but it will be enough for me to make us cheese and butter =) I haven't been brave enough to try the milk yet lol But I'm sure it won't be long!