New from Maryland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Anita, May 16, 2009.

1. Anita

Anita New Member

May 12, 2009
    Davidsonville, MD
    Hi all! New member here from Maryland! Been lurking for a few weeks.

I have two Nigerian Dwarf does that I purchased in milk this past September. Dried them off the end of November, had them bred during the fall, one kidded March 3, the second May 3.

The first had a super easy kidding, but problems afterward, the second had a difficult kidding, one stillborn buckling, but has recovered beautifully. Go figure. The problems in both instances were most likely partly due to my inexperience, but I'm learning!

My purpose is to have raw milk and raw milk products for my husband and myself. I make lots of yogurt, soft cheese, mozzarella, and ricotta, and am learning to make hard cheese. All my hard cheeses are still aging, so not sure how it's going yet. I have several questions about dairy goats that I would love to get opinions on. I'll post the questions in the appropriate spot.

Great forum, thanks for having me!

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :wave: Hi from Australia!

We love to answer questions, and to hear all about your goaties, and to see pics!

3. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Hi and welcome from Holmes County, Ohio!

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Howdy from Ohio! :wave:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Welcome from Massachusetts!

You will need to tell me all about the cheese making!!! :wave: :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome ......... :wave: .....glad you have joined TGS.....feel free ...to ask questions or just chat ....we love pics by the way........... :wink: :greengrin:

7. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Welcome from another nigi breeder in West Virginia!

8. Anita

Anita New Member

May 12, 2009
    Davidsonville, MD
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from SW PA! Sorry your birthing experiences turned the way they did....and yep....I'm a nigi breeder too and use all that wonderful milk for making all those nummies too!

Glad you joined us, now you'll have to share those cheesemaking experiences as well!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome from CO :wave: . Sounds like you dove right into the wonderful world of goats. Sorry that your first kidding season was a little hard, but yes as long as you are learning from it that is what is important. We all are learning every day.