New from the Rocky Mountains

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Zelda, May 2, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    :wave: Hi, I'm new to the board & relatively new to goats. We bought our first goats in January, two bottle Saanen doelings and a Saanen x Nubian 2nd freshener.

Our doe is a good starter milk goat as she was milked during her first freshening by her previous owner. She freshened in early April and we got a nice 3/4 Saanen doeling, Zelda. The doe is not a good mother. She was not allowed to raise her first kids, and has no instinct to let her kid nurse. I have to hold her while Zelda nurses. Fortunately, she's otherwise very gentle and easy to handle and milk. She is giving over a gallon a day in addition to feeding her baby. It works out OK and has been an over-all positive experience.

Our small family is enjoying lots of fresh milk, ice cream, and cheese. Several of our friends and neighbors are enjoying the overflow milk. I have been amazed at how much nourishment one little goat can produce. The dogs and chickens are having extra milk and whey on a daily basis.

I had posted my funniest and most embarassing milking story on BYC (I'm BeardedChick over there) and will tell it again here. It was about the third day I had milked my goat, and I had a perfect, clean bucket of milk to take into the house which was VERY exciting at that point. As I stood up with the bucket in my hand, my darned nose dripped and a drop of snot landed in the bucket! Well, after looking hard at that bucket and considering the options, it got fed to the chickens. SIGH. My family is still teasing me. And I have learned to carry the bucket off to the side, just in case the scents and smells in the barn make my sinuses too active!

Good to meet everyone and I soon will be off to do the evening milking!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good to meet you to.... :)
    welcome to TGS ...we are so happy you have joined..... :wave:

you are doing the right thing... by holding momma ....her mothering instinct will kick in soon... :wink:

sounds like you have really good milker there... congrats with her and new baby to..... :wave:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!

Sounds like you are having a great experience with your first doe! Easymilkers are great aren't they?

Well, at least your chickies enjoyed that mornings milk :ROFL: .......thas one reason why I use a covered milk pail! You just never know what could drop into your bucket :slapfloor:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: covered milk pail is a good idea .... :wink:

5. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Welcome! We are also in the Rocky Mountains and located in Steamboat Springs. I had a similar problem with two mothers just this week. I was told to "encourage" nursing. I'm still sore from hanging on to them and making them nurse their babies. I'm glad I did. Everyone is nursing and all are happy and healthy......with the exception of me!

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi!
    the goat in your avatar is very pretty! we love pics here!! :wave:

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome!!! :wave:

8. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Welcome from PA.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Welcome!! :clap: :wave:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome!

Thats one heavy producing doe! sure is a keeper

11. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome from AL :wave:

The whole time I was reading that story I was thinking "yeah... I could see myself doing that...." :ROFL:

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Welcome :wave: !!!!! You will love it here....great advice! I have only had my goats since last August and knew nothing, I credit this site for keeping them healthy and me not killing them from my ignorance!

13. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    WELCOME!!!!!!!! :stars:

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from North Idaho :wave:

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your goaties!! Any plans for more - hehehehe!

15. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Welcome to TGS from Illinois!!! :wave:
    I also raise saanens!!! I really like the breed. :) I'm sure you will enjoy TGS!!! :stars: :leap:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome :wave: Glad you found us.

Where in Colorado are you? I am North east of Colorado Springs.

17. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    I am over in Western Colorado, where the pinyons and sagebrush grow. :greengrin:

18. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Welcome from Holmes County, Ohio!

19. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome!! Glad you joined us!! Your avatar goat is just beautiful!!