New from WA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ZipperDoo, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Hello!

I'm new to the forum, and to goats. I thought that since having my new tiny herd (3 goats; 1 lamancha doe in milk(yearling), 1 lamancha/boer whether(2mos), 1 lamancha whether(2.5mos)) it would be a good idea to join a forum, as I've discovered my source for goat information isn't actually that great of a source. :roll:

So, here I am, I've been perusing the posts all morning, and am happy to announce that despite my doe coming with some hoof rot on her front feet(which I have trimmed up and cleaned and sterilized) I am without troubles in my goats. :) At least thus far. I am really hoping to make some goat-related friends that know their stuff in case I ever DO come up with a problem.

Thanks for having me!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from North Idaho!!!

What part of Washington are you from?

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Welcome! :wave:

I am also fairly new to both the forum and goats. This place is a wealth of information and everyone is super friendly and helpful.

4. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I'm in mid-to-south eastern WA. lol About an hour from Portland, OR. About 3 hours from Seattle.

I'm glad to hear (and see, from what I've been reading of other posts) that the atmosphere here is a good one.

I'd decided on goats as an expansion of my endeavor to get closer to my natural roots (I'm trying to cut out a huge chunk of the processed foods and synthetic products I use. Health reasons, mostly) but then I got my goats and I absolutely love the things! I don't plan on getting too big or anything, but even one goat produces more milk than we can use, so I'm going to be branching into make soap and cheese and butter for my friends and family. :)

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Well a big hello & welcome from 40mi north of Seattle! Glad to have you with us!

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Hello and welcome from NE Ohio from a fellow LaMancha lover!! :wave:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome from Northern California....glad you are here.... :greengrin: :wave:

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!! Glad you've joined us! You must be not to far from me then. I'm around 30 minutes out of Yakima.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Welcome to the group! My name is Briana and i'm from Idaho. I raise registered LaManchas. Glad that you joined the forum-feel free to ask any queston you have ;-).

10. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I'm in the Chehalis area. :)

I * adore * LaManchas! In my own personal opinion their milk has the best flavor. And who can resist those wee little nub ears..?? I was tempted to go Nubian when I got into the idea of goats, but then I met some and their personality overall just doesn't mesh with what I was looking for in a goat.

The LaManchas are perfect though. I'm trying to line up a registered lamancha buck for her for this fall, and then I'm going to hope hope hope she has twin does. lol!

11. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thought you'd enjoy pictures (most forums do?) so I hope these work!

Brick
    [​IMG]

Brick
    [​IMG]

Penny
    [​IMG]

Penny
    [​IMG]

Brick
    [​IMG]

Walter(Pardon my hub asleep in the background. This was when Walter was our only goat, and screamed all night if he was left outside alone)
    [​IMG]

12. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hi and welcome! :wave: Yes, we love pics, so thanks for sharing-handsome and beautiful. You have a great area for your goats. :greengrin:

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome :wave: from CO and so glad you joined us.

I love the pictures of the goats, they are adorable :lovey: And they have waddles. :leap:

14. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Beautiful goats ;-). You might check out the ADGA breeder directory-i'm sure there are LaMancha breeders over that way with bucks. A friend of mine has some really nice bucks to-Patricia Walker, her website is www.Huricanepm.com I dont have a buck-I find it easier to A.I. or pay a buck fee to have my does bred. Of course that is only because I am trying to keep my herd small. Of course my does didn't help me out that well this year with keeping my herd size down.

15. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thank you so much! I'll see about contacting her before too long. I'm not interested in having a buck yet (I don't have buck-proof fencing available yet), so I'm looking at either AI (which will be a new and confusing thing for me, I'm sure) or sending her out for breeding in the fall.

The only problem with sending her out is that I need to find someone who I can trust which, around here is proving to be kind of difficult. I'd really be upset sending her off to be bred to a really nice LM, only to have her come home and drop a full-eared (insert breed here).

Or worse, come home with gooped up ears, skinny, parasite-y, or having contracted something. X_X But I'm a natural worry wort... I think I'll be trying my hand at AI if nothing "perfect" pops up before the season starts. Thankfully I have a lot of time to prepare and plan. Huzzah for getting an early start. lol

16. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Welcome from eastern Ohio! :wave: And congratulations on your adorable goaties! :love:

17. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Hello from Kent Wa. My husband and I buy our hay in Chehalis and sell it up here. Glad to see you join.

18. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Hi, and welcome! Sounds like you started looking into goats for some of the same reasons my family did (check out our website at linsinsmaplehillfarm.com). We LOVE our goats, and I've learned SO much since starting here. Welcome, and enjoy!
    :wave:
    -Tina

19. jefner

jefner New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    western washington
    Welcome from another washingtonian! :) I am in the Puyallup/Sumner area--near Lake Tapps.. :) I have two Nigerian does. Your goaties are very cute! Welcome to TGS! :stars:

20. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks everyone! The warm welcome is definitely appreciated. Just learning the controls of the forum too, I'm used to forums that e-mail me when I have replies. lol, just figured out how to do that here. :)