The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all!
After many months of prep and some luck coming my way, my family just picked up our two sweet Nigerian Dwarf does from their former owner (we had waited until they were able to be bred since they will be dairy girls). After getting them in their new digs, and letting them explore a bit, it was time to turn in for the night. The girls just sat by the gate. I went into the enclosure and ushered them into the shed that we had made so they could see the straw and shelves for bedding, but they would have none of it. They slept under the stars last night. From everything I have read or understood, if given the opportunity, goats will choose to sleep off the ground and in shelter.
Question is, is this to be expected for a bit until they get comfy, or did I miss something? Also, any tips or tricks for making goats feel more relaxed when moving them to a new home? I would hate for our efforts and breeding to be undone because the does got too stressed with their rehoming.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
My goats will sleep outside some nights, inside some nights. Your girls just need time to adjust.
Enjoy your goats.:)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
:hi: Welcome to the group. They will begin to relax in their new surroundings once they can explore around a while. Since it was the edge of dark when you brought them home, they may have been hesitant to go strolling around a new area at night. Personally, things look more threatening to me in the dark.

They will love the new shelter within time. Just be patient and allow them however long it takes to adjust.

Another thing that may be helpful is to pull up a place to sit down, and just hang out with them. They need to get use to their new humans as well. Goats are curious creatures, they will eventually come to where you are sitting to check you out. Some people have used a treat as a temptation to come closer and eat from your hand.

Congratulations on your new does and welcome to the ranks of being a goat person.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hey and Welcome to the Group! They probably are just getting used to the area, new sites, smells, sounds. Clyde doesnt normally, but Bonnie will sleep outside during the summer months and sometimes into fall.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
:DWelcome to TGS!!! Im sure it will take a some time for them to adjust!! Congrats on your new goats!!!:hi::neat:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts