The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I posted a few days ago about loosing one of my little baby alpine goat. We have all come to the conclusion that he got stuck and panicked either breaking his back or suffocating (or something). So sad, but we are moving on.

So on Wednesday we got a new goat. She is beautiful and is a little over 3 months old. She was drinking goats milk from a bucket with a nipple and straw at the breeders. Now that she is here, she will not get near a bottle (same nipple!). I've tried cows milk and goats milk. Nothing. Should I be worried? She is eating lots of hay, grass and grain. Drinking water. She's been dewormed and was given the Corrid treatment for Cocci by the breeders. I am thinking she is just done drinking milk. She is old enough to be weened, but I did not want to do it so quickly. Should I force her to drink milk?

She seems to be getting used to her new surroundings. I gave her a little probiotics the first day. I may give her more tonight. Her stool is a bit softer than it was when she arrived and in a big clump rather than berries. She will not even drink electrolytes from the bottle. Should I give her anything else to sooth her belly during this transition and "cold turkey" weening she is putting herself through?

I will get a fecal test done next week to make sure all my goats are in good shape.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
As long as she is drinking and staying hydrated ,they get alot of water from the green grass,I would only give her a little grain 2x day,and limit her time to the green grass ,make sure she is eating dry hay,the stool is probably from too much grass and grain,take it slow,I would not push the milk,as long as she is energetic and eating,good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as she is drinking and staying hydrated ,they get alot of water from the green grass,I would only give her a little grain 2x day,and limit her time to the green grass ,make sure she is eating dry hay,the stool is probably from too much grass and grain,take it slow,I would not push the milk,as long as she is energetic and eating,good luck
Thanks, Jd. She seems to be doing fine. I will keep an eye one her and will not push the milk. Makes my life a little easier! I am only giving a small handful of grain morning and evening and they have lots of hay all day. I am going to go out and see the babes now, while I am thinking about them. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying to force the milk. I would do Probios for a week. I would also treat her for coccidia since is now in a new environment and the stress of going to a new home.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I agree, she is old enough to go without a bottle so just give her the hay all she wants and fresh cool water in this hot weather.

Why is is on Chorid? Was she diagnosed with Cocci? It can really mess them up if given to long, so if she did not have cocci I would NOT treat her with the Chorid.

Just spend time with her so she gets use to you and her new home. Is there another goat with her?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The corid was preventative. She is no longer taking it and yes she is in the stable with two other goats. What do you recommend that I give her to treat for cocci? Should I have a fecal test first to see if she even needs it? I am going to test all my goats next week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a fecal on all three. The two does are fine. The young buck had a small load of cocci so the vet gave me a 5 day treatment of corid. Today is the last day. Will retest fecal samples again in a week or two to make sure they are all okay.

Still wondering what this cough is. My oldest doe has had a cough since the day I got her (at 3 months). The little buck has one too. You can hear a little flem in their lungs, sounds like they are purring sometimes. Vet said they must have had pneumonia at one point and never fully recovered, that they will have fluid in their lungs for a while. There is nothing I can do. Is this true? She said it most likely is NOT lung worm....

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
any amount of fluid is pueumonia to some degree...have you take a temp of them?
Lung worms usually cause a dry cough....

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Dexamethazone can help clear up the lungs - its a steroid and RX. Banamine can help with persistent coughs.

I had one who coughed occasionally but more then I liked. Tried treating her for pneumonia, no change and then suddenly she stopped coughing. havent figured out why she was coughing. Just started one day and left a couple months later.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will take their temps tonight, see what comes up. They seem totally healthy and happy. Eating a lot, running around, curious. Just a flemy cough once in a while. If they do not have a temp should I try the dexamethazone or Banamine?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts