The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat herd is growing and I finally convinced my husband to help me clean up this old building on our property to make more room for them. It’s about 20x40 with concrete floors and concrete up about half way on two walls that are underground. The roof is good and it’s dry inside. Currently almost all of the windows are just chicken wire. I’m thinking I need to cover them. It gets about 10 to 0 degrees here at the lowest. The wall with most of the windows is facing south. I do have a lot of windows that I could probably put back in there or I have some tin laying around also. I could also buy some plywood if that would be better but I’m trying not to put too much money into the project because we are just renting and will only be here a couple years most likely. What do you guys think would be best? Is there anything else that I should be thinking about? My old structure had a dirt floor. What are some considerations I need to know about using a concrete floor?
Wood Tints and shades Composite material Concrete Plant
Window Wood Tree Plant Plank

Ps. I won’t be able to use the wood that is in the pictures. It belongs to my landlord.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Put straw down for bedding... concrete is easy to clean though I like concrete vs dirt personally. And you can always try powerwashing it before you move if the landlord wants you to... I think the tin would work fine, it will keep the wind out at least but if you wanted it a little more insulated go with the plywood, I would think that'd be just a bit thicker.. it would be cool if you could do hinges so you could open them some in the spring, summer and fall! Just put a stick or something to hold them open!

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Yes, the windows definitely need covered. I think whatever way you choose to do that will fine as long as they have warm, cozy bedding.

My goat barn has concrete flooring and I have a "love, hate" relationship with it. Lol! Here's what I've found works best for me so far:

In the warmer months, I don't put any bedding down. Doing this really helps to keep most of the flies away. The goats also love to cool down by laying on it when it's really hot outside. Since there is no bedding down, my goats rarely ever pee on the concrete. I do however, have a litter box for them inside the barn and 90% of the time they will pee in it when it's raining and they don't want to pee outside. That being said, they will (and do) still poop everywhere!! Every day (or so) I am able to just sweep up the "berries" and loose hay. Easy peasy!

Now in the colder months it's a little trickier since pee mostly just sits on the concrete and doesn't soak in very well. In the past, when I only had two goats, I just left the litter box inside and and put down a small section of straw down for them to sleep on. That seemed to work pretty well, though they did still pee on their "bed" once in a while, but since it was just a couple flakes of straw, it wasn't too big of a deal to clean it out in the middle of winter. This year I have four goats in that barn, and a few of them aren't the best at using the little box. I'm not positive what I'm going to do yet, but I plan on keeping the litter box there and trying out the pelletized horse bedding that I've heard works wonders!! I know this winter is just going to be a lot of trial and error for bedding, but I'm hoping I'll figure out a good solution!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I like concrete! It's so easy to clean, and dries out much faster than dirt. In the winter, I put down something absorbent, and then a layer of waste hay, dry leaves, or straw. Sawdust works well on the bottom for soaking up urine. Another option is pine pellets, which expand and turn into sawdust when they get wet.
To clean, I shake up all the top layer of bedding with a pitchfork so most of the berries fall to the bottom, then push it back and get out all the wet stuff from underneath and put down a fresh layer of absorbent material. Then I put the top bedding back in place, and add more if necessary. I do that every day or every other day, then I'll take everything out and start over with all fresh bedding whenever the top layer doesn't seem clean enough anymore.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
I like concrete! It's so easy to clean, and dries out much faster than dirt. In the winter, I put down something absorbent, and then a layer of waste hay, dry leaves, or straw. Sawdust works well on the bottom for soaking up urine. Another option is pine pellets, which expand and turn into sawdust when they get wet.
To clean, I shake up all the top layer of bedding with a pitchfork so most of the berries fall to the bottom, then push it back and get out all the wet stuff from underneath and put down a fresh layer of absorbent material. Then I put the top bedding back in place, and add more if necessary. I do that every day or every other day, then I'll take everything out and start over with all fresh bedding whenever the top layer doesn't seem clean enough anymore.
I might have to try that this winter!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put straw down for bedding... concrete is easy to clean though I like concrete vs dirt personally. And you can always try powerwashing it before you move if the landlord wants you to... I think the tin would work fine, it will keep the wind out at least but if you wanted it a little more insulated go with the plywood, I would think that'd be just a bit thicker.. it would be cool if you could do hinges so you could open them some in the spring, summer and fall! Just put a stick or something to hold them open!
I love that idea! 😊 thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. That sounds like it would work great. I’ll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The structure looks very old and neglected. Are you sure it is safe to use, both for you and your animals. I see that there is electricity. Who would be liable in case of a fire?
It is old and neglected for sure but thankfully very well built and structurally sound. We just need to work on the cosmetics. There was electricity and water in the structure at one time but they have been disconnected. I’m planning to keep my current structure that has electricity in place for late nights with expecting does and kids.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts