New goat cut her eye?! Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laney3535, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Laney3535

Laney3535 New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Okay, so I just got back from a local fair for my 4-H club and i took both my goats, Claire (2 year old Alpine), and Rosie (yearling %75 nubian, %25 alpine). We were there for a week, and a friend of mine has a huge heard of Toggenburgs and i bought a 4 month old tog who has already won a leg. We brought her home last night and she has a cold from fair. Well this morning when I let them all to the field to get dominance out of the way me and my aunt noticed her left eye was red and cloudy looking, and there was a line going through it and the line was raised. It doesn't look like it is bugging her, but I am worried about it... She is small... here eye isn't watering and I don't want to go out and try to get a picture of it because she is still stressed out a bit.... HELP! I am only 14 years old, and have only had goats for a year now... I don't know much....

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Awe..Im sorry that happened...I would put neospordin on there 2 times a day to help it heal...watch for infection..The neospordin is a triple antibiotic and safe to be on the eye...just pull the bottom lid down a bit and wipe a small amount on there and push up on the eye...it should not burn...I have never had a goat react to it..

for her cold I would get her temp be sure it doesn't turn worse and I would also give B complex to help with the cold :D 4-5 cc sub q daily until better.

3. Used2bmimi

Used2bmimi New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Western Colorado
    I think I would handle things a bit differently than you, but that is just a preference. I would bring her in from the pasture and pen her up by herself, but on a adjoining fence line to the others if possible. She has been greatly stressed by the show, her illness and now a move. I think dominance issues can wait for her until she is better. Just give her plenty of attention and access to minerals and good feed like she was getting at her last home. As to the eye, there are way more experienced people here who can and should correct me, but my first instinct is to call a vet in to look at it. Barring that, I would put some non steroid antibiotic ointment in it a few times a day. You can use the human kind that you can get from a drugstore that is meant for cuts and scrapes. You may find that you need to treat the cold too as her system may be kind of weak from all the stress and having her close in a pen will make that easier. Congratulations on your new purchase! We would love pics if you can get them:)