The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've have my Nigerian Dwarf goats since March, and they came freshened. The older one is 6 and her daughter is 4. The older one's milk supply is going down, she now down to under a cup per milking. Is it time to breed? I don't have a buck, should I try to lease one for breeding or purchase one? I have a wether that could be his buddy if I had to separate them. But i have a large pasture separated by one fence, and they could probably breed right through it, so I'd need to find somewhere to put the buck pen not so close to the girls.

If I just leased a buck for a stud fee, how does that work? I have only 2 adults that need breeding, I also have 2 doelings are still too young (7 months old). Will the older does still be in milk while pregnant? When should I stop milking them?

There is a farm down the street who has bucks, but she only wants to sell them, not lease them...so I haven't yet found a buck to lease....

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
You want to have the girls fully dried up at least a month prior to kidding. So you really want to start drying them up about 2 or 3 months prior to kidding.

I would just keep looking for a buck to lease. It really isn't worth it to keep a buck with only 2 girls. If you lease, it can be anything from having the buck at your house for a month to bringing them to someone else's for a driveway breeding.

You could always buy a buck and then resell him. As far as your fencing, how big are the spaces between wire? You could always put a line of electric wire to keep the buck away from the fence.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts