New goat home!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fruittartcaprines, Apr 5, 2010.

1. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Yippeee!!! I had put a deposit on two kids from a wonderful breeder, but unfortunately one of them had an issue and passed away. I had told the breeder that if her mother ever was for sale, that I'd be interested in her. A dairy was going to take her, because she is a tremendous milker, but they didn't, so she came to me!!!

We picked her up today, and, true to form, she rode home in the back of the car.

She instantly bonded with me, but wasn't fond of the two goats that we've nicknamed "the bad goats" because they don't seem to get along with anyone. So we put her with Pineapple, who is being separated from her babies at night anyway and they got along really well. We'll see what to do in the morning when the babies return to Pineapple, but they are just a few weeks from weaning anyway, so any problems will be resolved pretty quickly.

She had developed mastitis on one side after kidding triplets this year, which is cured. So she's not milking to her full potential, but she's still giving 3 lb per milking. Which will be great when added to my Nigi doe's milk!

Without further ado, here is Kori-Brook Wild Rendevous looking totally angelic on her way home:
    [​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    aw she's pretty! :)
    i like the back ground too, looks like a movie setting (big trees along a winding road) :love:

3. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Nice looking girl :D

I love the looks on peoples faces when they drive past a car with a goat on the back seat.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  5. fruittartcaprines

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks guys! I am so excited about this doe. She's my first registered doe, and I'm honored to have her.

The road is actually our lane :) It looks like this in the summer:
    [​IMG]

People did give us funny looks on the road. How else are you supposed to get a goat home though? A dairy goat like that doesn't belong on a *trailer* :laugh: I'm surprised she's not in the front seat!!!

6. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    She looks like a real sweetie! Congradulations.

7. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
  8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    She's very pretty! Looks like a real sweetheart.

9. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    LoL we got much the same reaction when we were bringing our new buck home on a 3 hour drive from the coast! People would look then do a double take when they realized it wasn't a dog, but a goat! Got a couple "is that a goat" questions when we were stopped for gas too. I love the look on people's faces!

10. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Another great reaction is when you ask if there is a place to get water for your kids and they get all confused when they see you fill a bowl and ask you whey you put water for your kids in a bowl and you answer how else are they supposed to drink it. :laugh:

11. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    I was rolling with this.

but that aside she is so cute.
    what a great picture.no stress in her eyes.
    renee

12. fruittartcaprines

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks guys!

She's having a bit of a rough time settling in as she was a show doe and she prefers people to her goat-y friends...she made herself so hoarse she now sounds like a goose when she bleats. *sigh* I can't spend 24/7 with her, poor thing, but I think she wants to be with me all the time. She'd look pretty funny sitting on my couch.

But she's milking really well, and I've made a batch of chevre, a batch of neufchatel, a batch of ricotta and now I'm making a batch of gouda! Yay!!!

I'm looking forward to my next two kids, coming from the same breeder :)

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh my gosh. your lane is amazing :drool:
    I must sound like a freak LOL!

I walk my goats down the road sometimes before, when a person drives by they usually stop and chat about goats. :)

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Congratulations on the new doe. She would really love to spend the night on the couch. Turn the TV on to the cartoon channel and she will be fine :greengrin:

You must be getting a whole lotta milk to be making all that cheese.

15. fruittartcaprines

Mar 3, 2010
    LOL, actually I love the lane - it's my "dream lane" from when I was a kid!

She is milking about 3 lb/milking (though one side had mastitis and is only milking a few squirts), and my other doe is milking almost 2 (doing the milking once/day method because her kids are not weaned yet). I'm excited to be making cheese...which is why I've got two more doe kids coming from the same farm, and I put a deposit on a buck kid who will complement the buck kid I already have! So that would bring me up to 5 does, and two bucks for this year. My goal is to not only have a breeding program, but to have lots of milk to support three families (my parents, my 5 person family and then my brother & sis-in-law's 4 person family).

We're trying something interesting here...my parents are avid gardeners, and we live on the same property (albeit at different corners). So I'm providing milk and milk products, eggs (we are raising 26 laying chickens) and then probably meat (although I haven't figured out how that will work just yet). My parents are doing all of the vegetable raising (and processing/canning, although I'll be helping with that) and my mom keeps a bulk food storage for all the other foods (wheat, beans and other dry goods). My bro & sis-in-law aren't really contributing yet, but I did rope them into loading hay so hopefully at some point they'll be providing fresh fish and additional labor. Our goal is to be self-sufficient as far as food goes as much as possible.

So....that was a long answer to say...we definitely have the demand for lots of milk and cheese here! People are eating it as fast as I can make it! I hope to at some point also be a licensed dairy, although I don't want to have a huge mechanical operation, but rather do artisan cheeses and milk products as I have friends that also were very excited to learn that I was getting goats. I just also gave a quart to my grandfather, who is in his 90s!

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, congratulations, she looks sweet as ever.

I have a few goats going horse also because I sold the babies, and I have one baby that is horse because I sold her mom.

She will settle in and will be fine. I just hope you will be able to milk her since she had mastitus.

I LOVE the faces and things when I have the goats. I put one in a dog crate to go to a parade, then we had to stop at the store, and the people that were gathered around the truck when we came out of the store scared us. I was afraid something happened, but nope they were just trying to see the "dog" that sounded like that.

17. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    This is sort of what our long term goals are here, only it is just my hubs, my daughter and myself... and I do all the work, lol.

This year it is the goats and the garden and starting canning and pickling, next year i will add chickens. Then we will see how we are doing and I may add in more garden area and some bee hives. This fall i will probably also plant some sugar maples and in a few years (lol, or more) start making our own maple syrup.

I want a root cellar since we don't have a basement, then i can start putting up more root stock like potatoes and carrots and such.

It's a lot of work, but in some ways the "work to food" conversion is better in growing my own than in working outside the home and buying it from the store. Of course that is because I am not qualified to work much more than a minimum wage job, but still... why work outside the home and pay huge taxes on every penny then pay taxes again when i spend it when i can work fewer hours at home and not have to pay any taxs and eat BETTER? And ENJOY it way more than punching a time clock!

Unfortunately i have debt I need to pay off and the lender won't take goats milk as monthly payments, lol. So it is a good thing my husband earns real money. Hence the reason i do basically all the farm stuff.

18. fruittartcaprines

Mar 3, 2010
    I've been slowly roping the others in. My husband and I both still work outside the home, but hubby is starting to learn to be my builder. My kids are learning to haul hay and help take care of the chickens (not the goats yet...but the two bottle babies I've got coming in May will be for them to show and help with). It IS so much more satisfying to eat food that you've grown, and let me just tell you, my ricotta is WAY better (or should I say whey better *snort*) than anything I've ever had from a store.

I think what I like the most about it is that I've got a measure of control. Should the economy go in the toilet even worse...I'll still have good food for my family. And that's important to me!

I'm hoping that her udder comes back fully next freshening. There don't seem to be any lumps in that side, so we're crossing our fingers. She is still milking 3 lb/milking out of the left side, which is the non-mastitis side (she's fully treated and done with treatment). But, even if it doesn't, she's a doll and we're getting a lot out of her now.

19. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    *snort-laugh*

You know even when my home made foods aren't as good as store bought there is just something fulfilling and satisfying about knowing I made my own. The fact that usually the stuff i make or grow IS better is just icing on the cake.

This is big motivation for us. My husband works in a business that is far from secure (he works for a huge telecommunications company doing techy network stuff). Every 3 months they lay off a bunch more folks where he works. To be honest I'm surprised he still has a job. It is entirely possible that in the next year or two we could be without income aside from unemployment. Our house payment is small, we could cut expenses to nothing once we dumped our debt (we would have to declare bankruptcy and give up everything with a payment on it aside from the house).

We have a small car with almost 200k miles on it and an ancient pick up (not really road safe, only usable around the farm) that we own free and clear... so without him needing to drive to work we could get by with those cars we owe nothing on (wish we could do that now, that car with the payment is KILLING us financially but we owe more than it is worth so we are stuck). If I could provide enough food to get us by, even if it meant not having a lot of variety, that could mean the difference between having our home here or losing everything. I have 13 acres, and can barter for hay. I should be able to provide for 3 people, some goats and chickens and hopefully the ponies with that even if the worst happens, though I might have to learn to trim horse feet to keep the ponies.

I'm also gradually moving toward all heirloom veggies so i can save seeds each year. I'm thinking back to all the things my grandmother did, that were carry overs from her life during the Great Depression.

And my big goal this year is to get my husband to build me a generator i can power with the ponies. lol. We can't put in an electric generating windmill (neighbor tried and people complained so now it's not allowed without special rezoning) but an hour or two a day of pony power could provide us with a good portion of our electric needs, and if push came to shove and we couldn't afford to pay for 'juice' we could keep lights going and a fridge running on the battery power generated by the ponies. Picture something like those pony rings at fairs, only hooked to a generator. lol.

Crazy times we live it to have people thinking like this.