New Goat is Sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lisa Bartuska, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lisa Bartuska

Lisa Bartuska New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Hi, I am a new goat owner. We just received a new 8 week old Mini Nubian today. She rode three hours in a car. She has been breathing rapidly and bleating all day. Tonight she is breathing 110 per/ min, temp 104.6 and occasional cough. Cooled her down with fan and bath. Not sure if she needs a vet or not. They told me when I got her that she was weaned this morning. She doesn't take a bottle but ate alpha today and drank water.

2. Lisa Bartuska

Lisa Bartuska New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Fever down and respiration down slightly. Still bright eyed. Will wait til morning.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Welcome and congratulations on your new doe. She's probably stressed from the trip and getting weaned and separated from her momma. Does she have a friend/buddy to be with and bond to? That in itself is very important. For treatment I'd give her some vitamin B complex and some probios to keep her rumen healthy and keep on tracking her temp, respirations and lung function to make sure she's not coming down with pneumonia.
    Good luck

jodane and happybleats like this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You could give her an injection of Vitamin B complex - 1 cc per 25# of body weight. Give it sub q, (under the skin). It will help with stress and kind of help kick her immunities in gear. Any livestock feed store should have Vit. B complex.

Offer her fresh water and hay. Does she have another goat to bond with? (They are herd animals and should have another goat their size.).

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    We posted at the same time!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. Lisa Bartuska

Lisa Bartuska New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Shingle Springs, CA
    You guys are great thanks for the advice. We'll give the vitamin B. Today she is eating and drinking. Fever free. Making urine. We have two Nigerian Dwraf goat three months old we got last weekend that she bonded with yesterday.

Do you think it's ok to put her in with them today. We separated her last night.
    This morning we have her in a 12x 6 dog pen next to the other goats. If does good today I plan on putting her back with them tonight.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    groovyoldlady likes this.
  7. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    It should be fine to put them together. Just be aware that they may fight a bit to jostle for position. You shouldn't need to separate them unless things get too rough. It will be emotionally good for all of them to have herd mates!

GoofyGoat and Lisa Bartuska like this.
  8. Lisa Bartuska

Lisa Bartuska New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Great thanks we'll get them back together.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  9. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    It's great to hear she's doing better and that she has some new buddies! I'd still give her probios for a day or two more while she's adjusting to her new digs. :)

Lisa Bartuska likes this.
  10. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    wow, she makes it? I thought it sounded like pneumonia...

Welcome, both you and your nursling / new family member!

Lisa Bartuska likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What is the kids temp now?

I would get a fecal for worms and cocci on case.

12. Lisa Bartuska

Lisa Bartuska New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Shingle Springs, CA
    She is 102.4. she is doing great. I think it was stress induced from being weaned and moved all at once. Happy with her new heard mates.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California