The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I bought two does from a local goat sale. It was my second time to the sale, and each time I've been I have purchased females. I have read all about the negatives of local sales, but I have only purchased the big/ pretty does (the three does I have purchased were the high selling lots at each sale). When I got this last pair home, one got to having runny nose and coughs, which I posted in another thread. Got that all cleared up, and the second for decided to kid (been waiting for it to happen since she was about to pop). Unfortunately it was a single, but mom and baby are both doing fine. I do have a question about the mother, though. She has an eartag in her ear that looks a little more "formal" than one most breeders use. The numbers on it are

TN011616 (could be TNO11616) followed by a 0036 below it. It says do not remove. I figure the too number is a herd designation, with the 0036 being animal designation. Is there any way to track where she came from off of this? Know it's a long shot, but thought I'd ask.

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
It's a Srapie tag. The designation is state, herd number, then animal number. She was born in Tennessee. There's no real way to track it back for a private person. It is there for the government to track disease with.

· Banned
5,939 Posts
Figured it was a long shot, I know the owner of the sale, so maybe I can find who th owner I bought them from was.
I wouldn't count on it as I believe that is forbidden. I bought a couple of big, pretty, seemingly healthy to all appearances does at the sale barn and brought home Q Fever with them. Both of them had premise id tags like your's does, but the barn would not give me any information about the previous owner. I finally just turned the premise id info over to the state vet since they came from a farm here in Wyoming.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't count on it as I believe that is forbidden. I bought a couple of big, pretty, seemingly healthy to all appearances does at the sale barn and brought home Q Fever with them. Both of them had premise id tags like your's does, but the barn would not give me any information about the previous owner. I finally just turned the premise id info over to the state vet since they came from a farm here in Wyoming.
Really? My family has commercial cattle as well, and usually when we sale cattle at the market the buyer is listed on the sales receipt. Figured it would be the same for the saler

· Super Moderator
16,625 Posts
Crazy goat is right....big time no no. You can give it a shot but if you get the info and someone finds out they are in deep. I take it the other doe you got does not have that tag. Unless it came with papers that's also bad. If by some fluke scapies shows up the last owner they can trace it to is you. Not only that I get so ticked when the sale let's that crap slide I have to tag my goats or they charge me $1 a head to do it. I had one does fall out on the way to the sale and because it wasn't attached to the goat they tagged her.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Just got back from the barn. Mama and baby are doing fine. The two goats I bought a month ago are still by themselves for quarantine, but I will probably go ahead and move the open doe tomorrow in with the rest of the females, and wait about a week on the new mama before moving her into the pasture with the mamas with other kids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.