The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nubian mini with coccidia. Picking up meds from vet tomorrow. She's never had correct poo since I got her. Treated with different wormers asking my breeder for help.She said use Corid I did 5 days.
Her poo got better but no berries. Could the goat have had it all along and the different wormers have been helping a bit ? It's been a month. ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You!! Now I know I'm not crazy. The breeder said she would never sell me a sick goat.
Maybe she didn't realize the goat was sick. I love my 3 goats and just want them to be happy and healthy. Thanks soooo much.

·
Fair-Haven
5,723 Posts
So… many young goats will have coccidia, and with the stress of a move need treatment. Everyone who is new in my herd gets a fecal done as it is common for goats to have a cocci or worm “bloom” with stress. Your breeder probably did not sell you a “sick” goat … this is very common in young kids, but should have been mentioned for you to run a fecal exam within the first week. Coccidia may have to be monitored and treatment given every month or so per a fecal exam by your vet.
Welcome to the world of goats! They are wonderful and sometimes complicated.

·
Administrator
92,608 Posts
From all the meds given, it may be her rumen is a bit off. Time to rebuild her rumen with probiotics and fortified vit b complex SQ 6 cc’s per 100lbs for at least 3 days or more. Give room temperature dark beer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dark beer. For me or the goat.
My mini Nubian is only 16 lbs.
My 2 Nigerian dwarf goats are 14 lbs. I have been giving them probiotics, b complex and red cell if their eyes are pale. Have meds from the goat vet. I want to avoid the vet whenever possible.
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It sounds like a cud transfer might help. Take a toothbrush out to the pasture, watch for a healthy goat to burp up some cud, swipe it out onto the toothbrush then push the cud into the recipient's mouth. It's great for touchy guts after receiving treatments for gut related issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Nubian mini has coccidia treating her with vet meds. I'm copying the cud swap I. my goat binder. Sounds like a good thing
to know. Thanks. Question.... My babies love to nibble on me. Do all Nigerian dwarfs do this?
Thanks again. Great to have all the info I can . :) :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts