The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of some advice regarding our new goat and I cannot find a "farm" veterinarian anywhere near us.

We have our own little farm going with a few acres of land in the country and have always wanted to add goats. I wanted to get a few babies to start with so we could raise them, however a friend of my husband knew someone who had a goat they wanted to give away and in my opinion were not taking very good care of her. I didn't want to leave her in that situation so we took her this Monday.

We have her in a fenced field area (large area). I know they are very social animals and we plan on getting her company once she gets used to us and isn't as stressed from the move.

The guy who had her never really paid her any attention other than throwing her some food every once and a while (he was getting up there in age and just got to the point where he didn't care for anything he had). So when we got her she was extremely shy and wouldn't approach us whatsoever. She was also a little skinny. However over the course of this week she has warmed up to us nicely and has began putting on weight. She still won't let us touch her and is still a little jumpy but she has come very far socially with us in a short time.

I have absolutely no idea how old she is and the people who had her really couldn't tell us. I would estimate 3-5 years because she really doesn't look old but have no way of really knowing. I also don't know what kind she is? I've attached a pic so maybe someone can enlighten me. :)

Now to my question :)

I noticed yesterday while feeding her that she was grinding her teeth pretty frequently and did some research to find that usually means she's in pain for some reason. I have an inkling that she may have some parasites due to the fact that she's a little red / raw looking in the back and her belly looks to be a little swollen in comparison to her body. But I know that goats tend to get stressed easily especially when you move them to a new environment so I wanted to wait until she settled down a little before poking and prodding for any health issues. Other than the grinding, she seems to be okay. She's running and playing and has become very vocal over this week. She actually greets us very loudly when we arrive home from work.

Growing up in the country, we had many animals but I've never cared for a goat so I just want to be sure I'm caring for her the best I can and that includes getting her healthy. So if you could give me some pointers / tips and also your thoughts on why she might be grinding and if I could worm her myself or what I should do to check for parasites?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Welcome to TGS!!

Goats when moving often are stressed and that causes the parasite/worm load to increase. Most people will worm when moving a goat. You can do a fecal test to see what you have and most vets of any sort can do that for you or you can send it away to be tested.

Grinding and puffed up belly can also be bloat, make sure you have baking soda out for her. Sometimes new food or pasture or wet grass will cause bloat. Free feeding baking soda will help the goat be able to regulate that herself. If the baking soda doesn't help that, it may need a little more treatment. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/bloat.htm

Here's a way to see the age of your goat (at least up to a certain age)
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/age.htm

As for the other questions, I'll leave that to the more experienced folks here.

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
Congrats on your girl..she is pretty...looks to be nubian alpine cross to me : ) So you have a milker

Grinding teeth indicates gut pain...this could be from worm load or rumen upset...I would get her temp..it should be between 101.5 and 103.5....

Big soft bellies that stick out on both sides, especially the left side is a good size rumen, which is what you want to see in a goat...if the right side and a bit harder..could be she is bred..was she in with any bucks? or any bucks near her pen where you purchased her?
as amyboogie said..bloat can be an issue...if her left side is very hard..sounds like a drum when thumped then she could have bloat..1/2-1 teaspoon Baking soda in enough water to drench will help along with messaging and walking

Any time I bring a new goat home I worm them. As you said..the move was stressful and her getting to know her new family is stressful...worms love stress..it opens the doors for them to increase and cause major problems...I would choose either Ivomec plus (1 cc per 40# sub Q)or Valbazen (1 ccper 10# orally) since they both also kill the liver fluke worm where others do not..however Valbazen should not be used on pregnant does..so be sure she is open first before choosing it.
B complex is a great support vitamin ...I would give her one shot daily
Probiotics are needed to help with her good bacteria needed for healthy rumen/flora

How is her poop? nice formed berries? is she peeing eating drinking well?
When you have her inhand..check her lower inner eye lids for color...you want to see bright pink to red..if its very pale or white she in anemic and will need treatment for that..
here is a link to check out an eye chart
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ufp3aWSDQxc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the good info!!

I will check her out (as much as she will let me :) As I said she still will not let us approach her close enough to touch her yet) when I get home today for all you have outlined.

As for the buck, YES she was with a buck that was the same kind as her for most of the time her last caregivers had her but they got rid of him I'm told because he was too aggressive with them. And that happened I would say a few months ago...I thought about pregnancy but I would think she would be larger? And I wasn't sure of the gestation period.

If she's not pregnant, bloat definitely sounds like what it may be as well as parasites. Cathy, can the Ivomec and Valbazen be purchased at Tractor Supply? And do they usually fight when trying to get the worming medicine down or will it be flavored?

Sorry for so many questions but if I don't ask now I know I will have them later. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Valbazen you can at tractor supply, its oral, but i would make sure shes not pregnant first. Ivermec i beleive you can get there ( not completely sure ) and ivermec is NOT oral, you would have to inject it.

·
14,615 Posts
Ivermectin Noromectin Ivomec; all the same thing just different brand is at feed store.
It is labeled 1% injectable for cattle.
When dealing with internal parasites it can be given orally at the rate of 1 cc pr 33lb; some give it at higher rate.
Dose again 10 days later the cover next hatch.
And welcome to TGS!

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I started using Ivomec Plus injection, my whole world changed for the positive as far as parasite control. Good stuff. I understand she's scared, but they are very food driven creatures with a sweet tooth. If it were me, I'd get myself a bag of Goat Chow. You can slowly introduce that to her diet later when the bloat calms down. Just grab a small handful and lure her in enough to grab a leg or her head. Have the injection ready and do it. She'll forgive you later but you'll get her on the road to health super fast. Best of luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
One more thing..some goats are chatty, but they also are vocal when they have some sore of issue that needs addressed. Calling to you could be like, "Hey, I need this skin and gas taken care of!" I just picked some new goats up last week. Fri, Sat and Sun was VERY noisy. I treated the health problems immediately but it took a couple days to get to feeling better and when they did, silence with more of "hello" type chatter when I'm around.

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
I prefer to inject Ivomec plus myself...It does sting, so expect a reaction..I inject just under the skin (subQ) where the neck meets the body.

If she was with a buck, she is most likely bred...I have a Nubian that never looks bred..even to the last day lol Check her udder... see whats she's got going on.

With a shy goat, it is better to have a smaller pen so you don't have to chase her to mess with her...bring in a chair with some WASA crackers and win her heart : ) ..But more over they need care and to do that you have to be able to handle them..Better to get it all done then work on winning her..Wormer, hooves, Draw blood for Pregnancy test if you want...check her lower inner eye lids..and when you are done brush her and talk to her...leaving her in a positive mind :D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Draw her blood and test for cl cae and pregnancy. You need to know if she is clean before you get any others, and make sure any new ones you get are clean also quarantine until you know if the new one hasnt been tested. A couple of dollars now can save alot of heartbreak later. If she is pregnant you really meed those tests so that you can protect the kid if she has cae.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hello, I'm new here I'm bringing home 2 pygmy babies in Oct,

is this what you are talking about? even though it says cattle?

Ivomec® Plus (Ivermectin/Clorsulon) Injection for Cattle, 50 mL

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
welcome to The Goat Spot!!!
Ivomec® Plus (Ivermectin/Clorsulon) Injection for Cattle, 50 mL
yes that is what we are talking about, many of the drugs we use on goats are made for cows, or sheep ect... not a lotof meds labeled for goats out there ...how ever I dont use it in kids under 6 months old....I would choose Valbazen...its oral, so no needles for baby and it kills the same worms as ivomec plus and also gets tape worms...so a good wormer for kids...

congrats on your new babies...We arehappy to help any way you need, and if you start your own thread you wont get lost...more folks will see you post.: )

·
Registered
930 Posts
For one goat I would buy the Ivermectin Plus horse paste, triple dose the horse amount, so easy and cheap. Thats just me, I like the horse paste, no needles required. One tube would be enough to worm her several times if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts