New goat owner and now I must watch my garden ???

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Tanya, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I took a stool sample to the vet today. I will get the results on Friday. The temp was 102.5 quit normal. The breeder told me today that he was born 23 May. It makes his actual age 5 weeks. . Same age we got Destiny at.
    He was also eating some hay before I took him in to the house. His stool are perfect little balls all loose. He is urinating like normal.
    Something tells me that he is mimicking Destiny and I soon wont need to bottle him any more. . Easy baby if you ask me.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Babies should be on the bottle at least 2 months, longer if possible. Their rumens just are not developed enough to support the goat until older. I know bottle feeding is a complete pain. (I'm feeding a bunch now and it is a hassle!). But, try and keep feeding until you are confident they are eating and drinking enough to sustain them.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    3 months on bottle is best.
    But weaning at 2.5 month old earliest is 2nd best.

Iluvlilly! and luvmyherd like this.
  4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. He gets his 3 bottles a day he really doesnt ned it any more.
    We had a milestone tonight though. He is out inDestiny's sleeping quarters all snugled up right next to her. I have left the heating lamp on. I dont want them to be uncomfortable. But he dove right in when we took them to bed. I am also making sure he eats before bedtime at night so that he doesnt wake up too hungry.
    He has discovered apples are really tasty today. He kidnapped a peace out of Destiny's bowl. He also took a wack at drinking water which was not his faverite part of the day. I think he will do everything at his pace.
    He is really small for his age so I recon he wont get bigger than Destiny. But he sure shows her who is boss.
    Question. Do wethers grow horns at all? And how long will cork last if I put them on Destiny's horn tips? Hers are very sharp at the points. I dont want her jabbing any one without having them removed.
    Thanks again for the great advice.

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You can cut the tips off the horns, there isn't blood flow at the very tip. Or file them flatter. Cork may be knocked off or eaten! I would guess it depends on the goat and her buddy! Some people put tennis balls on the horns or pool noodle pieces held on with duct tape. (Pool noodles are a soft styrofoam they use in pools as floatations toys, for anyone not familiar with them).

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Thank you. I like the tennis ball idea. I could get coloured ones for different weeks. There isnt a squeek or hollor from their pen yet. So I hope they are really bonding now.
    I just want to say thank you for every one listening and answering my stupid questions. I have learnt allot here.

7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Your questions are good! Learning requires asking!
    Maybe Gizmo is polled or was disbudded by the breeder. At at his age the horns should already be there.
    Glad they are bonding so quickly! :goatkiss:

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Tennis balls don't stay put unless you tape them on. It's really more hassle than it's worth to try to keep covers in place around the farm. My big boys get horn covers when we're out in public, but they're not able to rub them on things like they can at home.

I will occasionally nip the ends and file down the super sharp horns on our kids if they need it. Once they get older, most horns tend to blunt themselves to a large degree. In the meantime, wear eye protection. I'm always extra careful of my face and eyes from about 2-6 months because that's when the horns stick straight up and are extra sharp. Also, kids that age tend to not be very aware of their own horns and are more prone to causing accidents. Someone on here once compared them to little boys waving sticks. They may not mean to whack someone, but it's bound to happen if you're not careful around them at that age. ;)

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will try filing her horns. Gizmo only has little bumps where his horns should be.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about everything that has happened to you. You must be tough to be able to get through everything so well, and still come out smiling. :)

I was looking through the pictures of Gizmo, and he really appears to be polled. He should have his horns by now if he wasn't, and polled goats may still have little nubs on their heads. Most breeders I see disbud their kids if they aren't polled, but that would mean Gizmo would still have burn marks on his skull which he does not appear to have. You can generally tell if a goat is polled by the way the fur on the top of their head grows. Here is a link to an article on how to tell if they are polled.
    https://www.betterhensandgardens.co...finger (this is the second confirming test).
    I was trying to upload a picture of one of my polled boys but it wouldn't let me. :mad:

Gizmo and Destiny sure are cute together! I'm glad she has a friend now. :D

MadHouse and luvmyherd like this.
  12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Hi Caramel. I also think he is polled. We dont disbud here in SA. The SPCA see it as animal cruelty. The same way we dont lob dog tails or trim puppy ears. The two of them are good together. If I seperate the two even for 10 minutes they holler. They are so playful together.
    Right now I keep them in a holding pen because of the cold but they do get sun time on warmer days. I actually lock them up at night on my porch because of what happened to Destiny. And this past Saturday she actually headbutted some kids that were visiting an employee for a birthday party. I was told to lock my goats up. As the lady is an employee and still on probation, I gave her notice. If you dont speak animal behaviour, you dont belong at a rescue facility. Destiny cannot stand anything male and I dont blame her. And it dont matter what size they come in.
    Gizmo is becoming more of a goat daily. He has picked up the habbit of chasing my only chicken. But its more like he tries to bounce around her than hurt her. They are both such beautiful critters. I am taking in a lone donkey next week. His partner was hit by a truck. He is about 10 years old.
    Oh and we discovered Destiny looovvvveeesss riding on the back of my sheep. She crowd hops them. Its hilarious to watch her.

13. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

That’s adorable! I’m glad to hear they are well. :)

And I agree with you that Gizmo is probably polled.

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ok. So here is my next question/ comment. Destiny and Gizmo both discovered my cacti grove. And lo and behold Destiny decimated a young bush this evening. Gizmo chomped down too. I checked them both. No thorns any where to be found. I did check and found that they are known to loooovvvveeee cacti and are known to eat this as a source of moisture. So, will I find sick goats tomorrow?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m not sure - give probios!! :):)

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I don't know much about cacti, but I would think it wouldn't hurt them. (Except the pokey parts), I know our cattle in Florida eat the native cactus plants when the plants are still young and tender. Whether all cacti are the same or maybe some are more toxic, I have no idea. (Not any in the rainy North Coast of Ohio. )

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

So here is the joke. My goats loooooovvvveeee cacti. And when I visit other farms with goats, the cacti bushes is where you find them.
    Ok. I have a question.
    Destiny and Gizmo love the sun. So do I. There is allot of shade too. But when they get hot they just dont go to the shade. I must pen them for this. Why?

CaramelKittey and Iluvlilly! like this.
  18. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

How hot does it get? (Just curious)
    I noticed for mine, the kids seem to have more tolerance for heat than the adults. Evetually if it’s very hot, even the kids move to the shade.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

PHOTO BOMB MOM

Attached Files:

20. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

It is winter here. So we don't get hot summer days. it gets to maybe 20 degrees Celsius. They only move if Chevani or I actually move them