New goat owner, couple questions

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by janelle12, May 26, 2008.

1. janelle12

janelle12 New Member

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hello all. I am a new goat owner :stars: , of 2 wethers. (I have a horse already :horse: ) I picked up a bag of feed, the only kind they carried, its country acres 16%. The breeder recommended a 10-12% feed at 1 cup per head per day. How much should I feed if it's a 16%? they get free choice coastal hay also.

I give my horse ground flax as a supplement which helps with healthy skin and coat, can I do this with my goats? Based on weight/size I'd feed about a tbsp a day. Is there any reason not to do this?

I have heard them sneeze a few times, is there any kind of respiratory illness to be on the lookout for?

One of them kind of looks up, then 'rolls' his head around backwards. Is this normal quirky goat behaviour? Sorry for my silly questions, I'm just trying to get to know more about goats! (I did the basic research before I got them though!)

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    How old are they? If they are young an still growing, a cup a day is good. If they are older, most wethers don't really need much grain, hay will usually be good enough. Otherwise they can get fat.

Flax is acidic and goats stomachs are alkaline(it may be the other way around, I forget) giving to much flax can cause rumen upset, a little is ok though.

Sneezing is common, especially if the hay or bedding is dusty. They just sneeze to get it out of their noses. They they start getting snotty noses, rattling breathing or a loose cough then you would be looking at a possibly serious respiratory problem.

This is known as stargazing, most goats just do it because they are silly, it usually doesn't mean anything.

The silly questions are the ones that go unasked :) Oh, and welcome to the Goat Spot!! :wave:

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My goats make a noise that sounds like a sneeze when they are alarmed about something- they stand looking at a point and make that noise without any head shake. So maybe that is what they are doing?
    Also my girls do the rolling head thing when they are mildly upset about something- they did it much more oftern when they moved here- now it's usually a "where's my food thing."

There are respiratory things a goat can get- in fact pneumonia can be a very bad goat thing. If you can take a horse temperature, you can do a goat the same way. Except the goats tend to poop out the thermometer much more often than a horse.
    What kind of goats do you have?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome! :wave:

For young wethers I say a handful to a cup of grain. I feed a 16% grain and I believe that 10-12% is way to low I like 16% or higher for my milking does.

As to the rolling of the head - mine do it when impatient and want me to hurry up with the food. So yah normal quirky goat stuff.

If you are looking ot improve their coats Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) yes the kidn you feed teh birds is wonderful for that. Mine get a handful twice a day with their feed and they really love it.

The sneezing could be as enjoytheride said. I have a new doe here that is snooting at the dogs because she doesnt' like them. A little sneeze here adn there like we humans have is not to be concerned about. But watch for runny nose, eyes or rattling soudn in the chest if the sneezing is more persistant and doesn't stop.

No question is stilly. Always feel free to ask :D

5. Candy

Candy New Member

Hi, welcome to the Goat Spot. :wave: Do you have any pics of your goaties? We LOVE pics. :stars:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Welcome! Congrats on the new goats! :wave:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome aboard. You only have two goats? Just wait. I bet you have more fairly soon. The are addicting.
    What kind of goats do you have? And HEY, there is NO SILLY questions here. They are ALL GREAT questions.
    AND yep, we need pictures.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome to TGS!!! :wave: We are always glad to have more people here!

I do believe that everyone else answered your questions so I just wanted to say hi! and congrats on your goaties! They are addictive and before you know it - you will have an entire herd!!! :ROFL:

9. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Just wanted to say WELCOME!!!!!!!

Are your goats free-ranged? Meaning do you let them out during the day to browse and forage? If so, depending on your land, you may not need to supplement with much grain.

CJ

10. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    question
    my 4h person told me that the "star gazing" is a sign they need to be wormed?
    what is everyone's opinion?

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've heard that they do it because they think they have horns, and want to itch their backs. My goats do it because they are silly, and evidently things look interesting upside down. Star gazing is a symptom of several different serious conditions, but those conditions are accompanied by other more serious and notable symptoms.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My goats have horns and star gaze....most times they do it to be silly and just want my attention!

Welcome, I think your ?????? have been answered and hope to see your boys soon!

13. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    My Lillie does the stargazing thing when she is mad at me! Kind of like a goat with an attitude!!

14. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Welcome! Lots of good advice here. And nice folks to help in a pinch. Just watch out for Chelsey, she has an incurable condition that she's passing onto everybody else. :ROFL: You'll know what I mean...when your little "herd" starts to grow...I have it... :GAAH: :wahoo: