New goat owner living in Rarotonga, any tips?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by tradershez, Nov 13, 2009.

1. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hello :)
    We have 2 new goats, 1 male 1 female - siblings. They are about 5 months old. We were told they are pygmy goats...they are very small :)

We live in Rarotonga (little country in the pacific ocean in the tropics) & I am interested in this forum as we do not have this type of thing here and I really would appreciate some advice.

There are stax of goats in Raro BUT no-one gives them water. We tried to give out goats water but they did not want it. The someone in Rarotonga explained to me that because of the lushness and tropical nature of the grass there is enough water in it for them? Is this correct? If not how do I get them to have water?

What basic care do we need? Bear in mind we live in the 3rd world...
    We have made little houses for them, which we intend to enclose so that they have one open side and 3 enclosed ones.

They seem really happy with their grass and munch all day long. We treat them with some special tree branches they adore!

I saw on one goat care website they listed a whole lot of things to do for goats, like hoof trimming, ear cleaning, brushing, vaccines, worming. People here just laughed! No-one here does anythign like that? Should we do these sorts of things?

All the goats in Raro are tethered BUT we have irritating dogs and made a nice big area for them to stay in and fenced it off. They are pygmy goats so we have to wait & see if they jump over, hopefully now.

In regards to the housing for them. They don't like to sleep under theirs. No one here has homes/shelter for their goats...they argue that this is the tropics?

My hubby is travelling to Auckland, New Zealand :) soon, should we pick up "wonderlick"? or worming/vaccinations? to bring back.

Also we don't have "hay" here, so what could I use for their bedding? They prefer sleeping next to their log in the middle of the grass.

Are they ok being brother and sister together in the same paddock? The boy is not neutered. When will this pose a problem? Will they have to be separated?

Can pygmy goats be mated with other normal sized goats?

If you have any other advice we would appreciate any help we can get :)

Thank you.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome to THe Goat Spot :wave:

If the goats dont want water then they probably dont need it - try leaving some water out there in a bucket and see if they do go for it ever....your environment is much different then most places around the world so there will be different needs then what we have.

As to shelter -- thats mosty from rain, wind and cold -- if the rain doesnt bother them and it doesnt get cold then no they don't need a shelter.

Pygmy goats rarely go over a fence... they like to find weak spots to go under but if they have lots to eat and enjoy in their pen then they will more then likely stay put. :thumb:

As to worming and vaccines -- I worm only as necessary. YOu can check the lower eye lids of your goats and see if they are bright pink or pale in color. Pink means they are healthy pale means they should be wormed. Worms may not be an issue where you live....this is not something I am sure about. Vaccinating is personal preference, I have some who are vaccinated and some who are not. The vaccination that most use is CD/T which is for enterotoxemia and tetanus -- enterotoxemia is for "over eating disease" and is most common in young kids.

The boy should be wethered or he will breed his sister. The chances of this accuring is about the time they turn 3-4 months or sooner. You dont want a doe to be bred before she is a year old if you can help it and especialy not to her brother. I personally wouldn't separate them but get him fixed (wethered) and then he wont smell and spray himself as bucks do.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Stacey i think covered it. But welcome to the group! Do you have any pictures of your goats?
    beth

4. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi again :)
    Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

We got the goats 1 month ago, now they are 6 months old.
    So I guess there is a chance that our girl goat could be pregnant.

I rang the local volunteer run vet & am in the process of convincing her to de-sex him...

They slept in their shelter for the first time last night.

I gave them some salt this morning but they were not interested.

They did actually jump over their fence yesterday. The little girl is very fond of my hubby and when he came from work, she saw him and jumped over the fence (only waist high) to say Hi.
    - so we are in the process of making the fence higher now LOL

The little boy was tethered when they first arrived, while we built the fence, problem is he got very depressed. Wouldn't eat and just sat there sullen. Once we let them free, when fence was done, he was super happy.

Hope the attachments work.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh they are just beautiful!

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

very pretty goats! they look very different from the pygmys here in the states.
    beth

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    over the years I am sure the pygmy breed has changed in the states from even its original breed.

They did that with dog breeds to -- thats why we have American this and English that etc

8. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Hi and welcome to TGS, nice to have you.