The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I recently got an old pregnant "Pygmy" goat from some people who were going to pretty much throw her away. She's been here about a wk the old owner says she should be having them any day! However she doesn't seem as big as she should be but the lady told me to feel for myself but she won't let me touch her at all only near et so I can feed her idk what to do I have never had a goat here's her pic please help

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I do not know much but others on here know so much it is great to have them all. They would most likely want a picture of her rear end so they could is her udder and her pooch

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Judging by what can be seen of her udder, I'd say she is pregnant, but I don't think she's that close. Right before they kid, generally the udder will fill very tight and maybe be shiny. And she will have a sunken look around her hips and tail. It will look like her stomach is hanging down really low. You will know what it looks like when you see it. Do you know if she's been wormed recently? Of not, you should do it as soon as she kids. They are more susceptible to worms then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the pics it's as good as I can get I feel like they sold me a wild animal she is super freaked out might I add she had been with the same herd for years and is old I think she has bred many times before Although done it a new environment with noo goats I hope she doesn't get to scared to let me near babies! Let me know any thoughts really appreciate it

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I do not know much but others on here know so much it is great to have them all. They would most likely want a picture of her rear end so they could is her udder and her pooch
:lol: So basically, yes, we want a picture of your goat's butt. :ROFL:
Good call, Rhodalee....

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well, for starters, shes probably freaked out because she's alone. Goats are herd animals and you should never keep just one at a time. I don't think she's at all about to kid. Her udder looks like it has basically dried up from her last kidding, and she's not super fat, though some goats don't show as much. What are you feeding her? if you have some treats she may calm down a little around you, but don't feed to many.
And don't worry, everyine here is very helpful and will talk you through all your problems.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got her thinking she may be about to birth so I could keep the babies then maybe sell her wasnt sure how I was Going to do that the owner says she had given birth right before I saw one of her babies was a very cute Pygmy but bigger than typical ! I researched lots and wanted to bottle feed I hope she has them within a month she said its been about that amount of time since she mated she should be due any wk they said or day

·
1,172 Posts
The only way I was able to tell when mine were getting close is watching the Ligaments. One of my girls started filling her udder almost a month before she kidded, and it didn't get 'tight' until after the babes were on the ground.
The other doe's udder was only half way full when she kidded.
The ligaments were the giveaway for me. When they sunk, I knew they were close... :)

I am newer to the goats myself, but thankfully had everyone here helping me get thru it, so I sort of had an idea what signs to look for. :)

Welcome to the Goat Spot! :)
There is some AMAZING people here. People who have helped to save my goats lives more than once! :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well I got her thinking she may be about to birth so I could keep the babies then maybe sell her wasnt sure how I was Going to do that the owner says she had given birth right before I saw one of her babies was a very cute Pygmy but bigger than typical ! I researched lots and wanted to bottle feed I hope she has them within a month she said its been about that amount of time since she mated she should be due any wk they said or day
Do you mean they said that it has been about a month since she was bred? Because the gestation for goats is five months, so if she was bred a month ago, she wouldn't be due for four more months.

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
First, her udder is lopsided. So she may not have use of that side that is small. She doesn't have much of a bag so I'm going to say it will be a couple to few more weeks. They usually start bagging up around a month prior to kidding. My guess is that if she was uncared for, they really have no idea when she is going to kid.

You will want to keep an eye on the udder. Hopefully she doesn't have mastitis.

Spend a lot of time with her and offer her treats to help her get used to you. Lots and lots of time spent with her is the only way to help her be more friendly. That was nice of you to take her in, it sounds like she is going to need a lot of love.

·
376 Posts
I don't know about when she might kid but as far as gentling her down, like the others said, spend a lot of time with her... and don't forget to talk to her! Use your 'library' voice, just sort of quiet and soft. I had to do this with my first goats and it wasn't long at all before they were lap goats.

Also bring her *goat safe* leaves! Mine go nuts over leaves from the sugar maples and green ash. Is she in a confined area or a larger pasture?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Goats also LOVE rose petals and leaves! You can try that to tame her up. If at all possible, you should get another goat, preferably one that is tame already. Sometimes they'll take a cue from the other one, and not be so skittish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No she had plenty litters before she had been bred they said almost four months Ago I'm planning on bottle feedi g babies if she lets me near them I'm a little scared of her to be truthful she hasn't tried to escape and I'm the only one she is getting a little closer to but still can't pet she chose a spot in my garage when she got here under a table she just sits there for a while she just cme running up to me I was a little skeptical whether she was charging scared or playing. I'm trying all snacks she seems to like my rabbits pellets more than anything I don't think the owners were to exact on a due date but said it should be within wks what do y'all think about the udder pics need snack, pregnancy, and taming help ahh I am really wanting this to work out

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
You're going to do just fine. You're in a good place to learn, I would also go to fias co farm and goatlink.com. Great resources.

Last year one of my does (who is now one of my sweetest) was very shy. We didn't bottle the kids, but we spent a TON of time with them, and not only did they turn out amazing, but she became friendly as well when she saw how nicely we treated them. Not saying you shouldn't bottle, just saying we didn't have to for friendly kids. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think you should get some goat pellets; I don't know if goat are supposed to eats rabbit food, it might make them sick. I doubt she would charge you unless you were scaring her really bad. In my experience goats almost always will run rather than charge when they are shy, but I don't know about this one, all goats are different so I couldn't say.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Ah yes, no rabbit food. Fresh, green hay, and a bit of alfalfa for calcium is what I would do, but be careful to change her feed slowly as to not upset her rumen.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would make sure she had good grass hay and slowly move her over to a diet of goat pellets and grass hay. She shouldn't get too many pellets to start. We mix goat pellets, alfalfa pellets (not cubes, they choke on cubes), black oil sunflower seeds from the birdseed aisle and beet pulp pellets as our goat feed. I use cheerios as treats...goats love cheerios. You can make a trail for her to come to you. Once she realizes you bring treats, bring a bit of her favorite treat with you each time as well as something new for her to try. Goats are curious & she won't be able to help herself but to come check you out when you arrive.

If she was not cared for before you got her, you should have a good kidding kit and be ready for the kinds of things that can happen if goats are either over or under fed. This is why you don't want to give her too much right now in terms of feed either. Both can cause things to go out of balance when momma's body uses its fuel to finish making the babies. You should talk to a vet about getting injectable CMPK (calcium and phosphorus) they won't take kindly to the oral stuff its gross. and BOSE (selenium) if the kids have weak legs (there is a paste for this, but you can overdose). Everything else you can get at the store...You will also want to have something on hand for ketosis, if she stops processing sugars right. Propalyne Glycol (sp) is a must have on hand, but can be an issue getting in without them choking, more likely you'll use molasses in warm water to bring the doe back to feeling good after kidding. She'll love you when you bring the warm molasses water. Probios probiotic paste is another must in my opinion as well as having nutria-drench on hand. Also keep some long gloves and OB lube ready (KY jelly works too). I like dental floss for tying off cords and iodine for dipping the navels in. We use old medicine bottles to put the iodine in.

When she goes in labor or you think she is, post on here in the kidding area. Put help and first timer in the title and even if its 3 am someone will likely be on here and will hold your hand through it all. Be sure to have a phone handy that can take pics and upload them fast if possible. that way we can be your virtual goatie midwives. You are going to have fun with her, just remember it's an adventure and it's supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
It is going to take time for her to trust you. She is scared and alone so she is going to freak out. Is there any way to get her another goat/ Wether would be fine.

Sit in the stall and lock her in (if you can), Hold your hand out as far as you can, and have treats in your hand. (I always put the treats in something that will make noise when you shake it so when they hear it they will know what it is).

Take different treat, bread, chips, raisins, horse treats, banana peels, mine love tortilla's. be patient it will take time. When she does eat from your hand don't try to touch her for a while, slowly move your hand closer to your body, and hopefully she will know you are the one that has the goodies.

Do you know if she was friendly at the other place?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They didn't say whether she was they told me she was on the phone but had been acting really scared and almost like she's gunna attack like putting her horn Down isn't eating well I talked with simoneone who I might buy two baby pygmys from 4 mo this and 3 wks what do u think

1 - 20 of 29 Posts