The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to the production goat arena...I've had a pet pigmy for 8 or nine years but she hasn't really ever needed any intensive management. She's a really sturdy girl and packs with the dogs...
Now I have a new herd of kinder and kinder/nubian mix. I am getting milk for the first time, but it's not as planned. From what I hear the goats do most of your planning for you...you're just along for the ride so I sort of expected it to be unexpected!
So...here's the layout.
Purchased a breeding pair (registered kinder doe and half kinder half nubian buck(ling). Also acquired the half sisters of the buckling to hold while someone else's fence was finished.
They never finished their fence, my buck pen wasn't ready (still isn't) so the half siblings are now mine, buck still running with them.
I do not want to get rid of the buck. We half raised him, love him and he is now proven as he produced triplets with the intended doe...all healthy, now one month old. My intention from the start was to milk once a day. So question one: Is that possible with triplets?
But...we were pretending to try to keep the buck seperate from his half siblings. We were trying...they were just all a herd and would stay in if they were together...instantly get out if they weren't...garden was on and I really wanted the produce at least once. I saw that the intended doe was in heat just put the buck in with her(them) ...turns out so was one of the half siblings. Now those two girls are wild. I never could get near them for anything! They both keeps their tails down...I didn't see any of the signs I was obsessing over with the older doe. Then I go out three days after my doe delivered and there was a dead baby. It looked perfect. Clean as a whistle. Laying there like it had been up and simply layed down. It was from one of the wild does...it took me a minute to wrap my head around it. She was still passing placenta...I cleaned up the bedding a bit and came by a second baby. Not cleaned up at all and she had literally covered it over with bedding.
I cleaned it up, removed the babies and began my milking journey. I didn't know what else to do. And she let me. She went from wild to standing so nice and patient. Instantly comes to be milked...she's a different goat. It's been three weeks twice a day (see my plan unravel). I'm loving the milk. I was scared to give her one of the triplets bc their mom was doing so well with them...I'm already milking more than I wanted...I really didn't want to inherit a baby to bottle feed because I messed things up.
I'm feeling stingy but I think it's time to share with the triplets. They are all growing well...but I am wanting to milk the intended doe once a day...they are all nibbling hay and fighting over teat...the mom is getting mad.
Question 2: How do I make sure the babies are fed before seperating at night? I was thinking of letting 2 nurse while mom eats her grain after my milker while giving a bottle from my milker to the third baby. Mom lets them nurse while she eats but they fight. I mean they are rough on her and each other. We have two doelings and one buckling. I was thinking bottle the buckling (only before nighttime removal). Then finish milking out mom and give that to the girls too? Or just let them take what they take and they'll be fine til morning? I know it's unatural for them to get "full", but it's unnatural for them to be kept from their mother, too.
Question 3: We will castrate at 8 weeks...he eventually will be the company for the buck(s). How long does he need to stay with mom? Maybe it's my personal experience having twins but I just feel like 3 is one too many! I would like to get him out as soon as he will be well on his own...no bottles from me.
Question 4: Does anyonce sprout their grain? I was trying fodder but I just can not take throwing it out for mold. I just can't get it. I'm not using bleach in their food. Period. However, I can get a really good sprout using strainers with no problem (I sprout our personal grains this way). I'm wondering if I'm feeding too much though. I let it lose a lot of water weight before measuring but I know it's still heavier. It's also more nutritious...so right now we are at at about 3/4# per feeding for the milker...closer to 1# for the mom...twice a day for both. Mom was already getting sprouted grain before the birth so her increase started from there. dry weight of 2# weighs 3.5# at feeding...The milker is giving 2# (one quart) of milk per day. So I know she should be getting 2/3# of grain a day for current production and is getting what would be equal to 3/4# if not sprouted...so she's a getting a pinch more than is necessary but I consider that a challenge amount...I would also say that the increase of availability should be enough to think she has what she needs to make more if she is capable of doing so. Also...it's been incredibly cold and while she has plenty of water she tends to not drink much except immediately after milking.
Question 5: Is a quart of milk at one month in ok? If she'd had twins she would need to be making more than that to feed them... Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy with the milk. It's incredibly cream heavy...but she hasn't made ANY more in the past two weeks. Not any less either. I'm a first timer too so I'm worried I'm not getting her milked out and she'll dry up. But production isn't going down...it's just also not going up. Is this me or is it normal for production to be the same at the end of the first week and the end of the third? Grain has been steadily increased to the point we are at now. She's doing really well. recovered from pregnancy...looking great.
question 6: My buck...He is now the father or half sibling of 4 of the five does(two half siblings same sire and daughters just born) . I've read on here that you need two bucks...it seems you breed grandfather to grandaughter? Five milkers is more than enough...I'm going to have to sell him, but I'm scared to death I won't get a cordial super productive buck in his place...Anyone know of any kinder breeders in Indiana? How old is too old for a buck...I keep seeing one for really cheap that's 4 years old...but I would rather invest in quality...at least as good as the boy I have. That and his mother is exceptional. I'm excited to see his daughters as they grow. It may sound bad...but if the whole world collapses I will happily let him breed whoever he wants for meat...If it came down to my children starving...we wouldn't eat goat any other way...I'm wondering how much the inbreeding affected the lost twins. But I'm figuring her being a first freshner in 9 degree weather and me not being there was the problem list there. I would prefer to find a really good home for him and get a buck that can breed any female I have...not only one of them. But it feels like buying a lottery ticket. Like I won on the first one...what are the chances I'll win again?
Ok...I'll save the other 999,999 questions for another day!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
You need to at least get a buck apron for the buck. The does can be bred back right away and you really don't want to constantly breed them.

It will probably be hard to get any of the kids on a bottle of they are more than a couple days old. You must make sure that kids are gaining weight and mom's weight is holding up to milk while nursing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you...kids weight and mom's are both good...I think I get what you're saying...the does will come into heat again right away? Yeah...I don't want to breed them back yet...You were talking about a buck apron for the full grown buck, right? Thanks for your feedback!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
You can band the buckling at 8 weeks and just leave him with mom. If you find him extending his penis when humping others, then you would want to remove him.

Ideally you wouldn't want to breed father to daughters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts