The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a crash course in goat owning as the wife said “I bought goats and they’ll be here in a week.” I had to build a pen and shelter, which is super nice.

so we got them last week and then the very next day I noticed one had a very wet persistent cough to where some episodes lasted 10 seconds or more. Some of their poop were logs and not pebbles. I took them to the vet and $500 dollars later he said the one with the cough had a respiratory infection and all had worms. They were given shots and the coughing goat get antibiotics twice a day.

They’re all showing signs of diarrhea especially the coughing goat, who’s no longer coughing (Maverick). After reading and reading online articles I’m starting to think the diarrhea is from the meds AND them only eating the grass in the pen. They won’t touch the hay I bought them. And haven’t for a week. After looking at the sellers Facebook pictures, he had a lot of goats and their pen had nearly no grass. I’m thinking grass is new to them and their gorging themselves on it. Of course they like the goat treats and goat chow I give them...which is very little once a day.

they go back to the vet next week for follow-up, but in the meantime I wanted to get some opinions of regular goat owners.

Do you guys think the diarrhea is coming from the grass only diet coupled with the shots and meds?

also, they act totally normal and healthy otherwise.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
What color poops?. Greenish tint can be dietary while.dark brown to black can be parasites. How.old.are the goats and did they receive coccidia precention?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
What color poops?. Greenish tint can be dietary while.dark brown to black can be parasites. How.old.are the goats and did they receive coccidia precention?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
:nod::up:

A lot of times, we have to ask them to include fecal for cocci too.
Vets in general can just be a little off, they don't understand goats in the same way owners and mentors do. They see everything black and white... and new owners tend to put their trust in them too wholeheartedly. Vets are important, but you need to know how to advocate for yourself with them. A lot of times, someone goes to the vet for a problem, the vet says something vague like "worms" and gives the goat a shot before even asking you if it's okay. But it's not that simple - there are so many worms that could be causing the problem, and so many specific dewormers needed. Additionally, injectable dewormers are only meant to be used in specific situations as they work super slowly!!

So for the future, don't be afraid to ask questions and challenge your vet... say "well, what's causing the diarrhea? Cause it's not the respiratory illness, and most worms that need to be treated by ivermectin don't cause diarrhea. So is there coccidia? Is there something else? Do you think it's dietary? Etc. etc."

Ask your vet questions, don't hand over decision making just because you've asked for help!!

·
8,187 Posts
Regarding the diarrhea, it may be from the grass combined with the antibiotics. Can you make the grass area smaller and keep offering fresh hay. (Most won't eat hay on the ground). Make sure they have fresh water daily. Some won't drink if anything gets in it, but none will drink if a poop piece gets in it. (Can't blame them!)

Tractor supply and other farm stores sell probiotics in a push tube. Generally, it's in the cattle section. The smaller ones are around $8-10 a tube) After the antibiotics, (in your case, since you give it 2 X a day) give them probiotics 6 hours after the antibiotic shot. (What antibiotic are they on?)

You can use pepto bismol (regular strength) to calm their stomachs.

How do they act? Happy and bouncy or quiet and reserved? Do you mind me asking where they came from? ( private seller or auction barn?) If you'd rather not answer, that's fine!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Regarding the diarrhea, it may be from the grass combined with the antibiotics. Can you make the grass area smaller and keep offering fresh hay. (Most won't eat hay on the ground). Make sure they have fresh water daily. Some won't drink if anything gets in it, but none will drink if a poop piece gets in it. (Can't blame them!)

Tractor supply and other farm stores sell probiotics in a push tube. Generally, it's in the cattle section. The smaller ones are around $8-10 a tube) After the antibiotics, (in your case, since you give it 2 X a day) give them probiotics 6 hours after the antibiotic shot. (What antibiotic are they on?)

You can use pepto bismol (regular strength) to calm their stomachs.

How do they act? Happy and bouncy or quiet and reserved? Do you mind me asking where they came from? ( private seller or auction barn?) If you'd rather not answer, that's fine!
The one that was sick is on Baytril 136mg tablets. 1/2 pill every 12 hrs. He acts totally normal. When he sees me coming he starts to sound off and running toward the gate. The older goat (1-2y) has been fine from the beginning. He's still shy and won't let you touch him but he'll eat from your hand. The youngest is around 6 months old. He seems less energetic to me Compared to the others, but I watch him and he walks around the pen and eats and drinks all the time.

like I mentioned before, I think these goats were kept in a large pen with upwards to 100 goats. All this grass is new to them and having space to run. We built them playful obstacles (tires in ground, drum tunnel, wooden spools, etc) but they could care less. I think they need to learn to have fun and be goats. If that makes sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts