New goat owner, worried about poison ivy!!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by GoAt-Newbie1138, Dec 19, 2013.

  1. GoAt-Newbie1138

    GoAt-Newbie1138 New Member

    3
    Dec 19, 2013
    To give you a little back story, I am planning on getting 3 pygmy goats! I have about 1 acre of land behind my house with a 6 foot wooden fence around it. I have gone through and replaced all the latches on the gates and all the loose boards! I'm building a 8x8 mini barn and small little house for them to live in! I also have bought some wooden wire spools for them to play and climb on. Now around some of the trees on the land and the fence, we believe there is poison ivy. I have read that pygmy goats can't handle eating poison ivy like other goats, so my question is what is safe way to get rid of it and not hurt the animals?

    P.S, I haven't picked up the goats yet, not for another couple months. Could I use a chemical weed killer??
     
  2. PznIvyFarm

    PznIvyFarm New Member

    939
    Jul 25, 2010
    Really? I never heard that. My nigerians LOVE poison ivy, it's the reason i got them in the first place, my little farm was COVERED with poison ivy when we moved in 9 years ago, some of the vines were as big as my arm. We have used chemicals but we also let the goats eat what they want and they've never had an issue with it.
     

  3. NubianFan

    NubianFan New Member

    Jun 2, 2013
    Arkansas
    I am not sure I believe that... We need a more experienced person to chime in, because I am thinking that any goat could eat poison ivy. I am not sure though.
     
  4. Jessica84

    Jessica84 Well-Known Member

    Oct 27, 2011
    California
    On eating the only difference between a pigmy and full breed is they eat less. There is nothing wrong with them eating poison ivy. They love it and will eat them so much will actually kill the whole plant and it will not come back ever again. My husbands friend actually bought goats to eat the poison ivy then milk to give the milk to his kids to help with alergies. The only thing you do need to be careful about is that after they shove their sweet little face and bodies into the poison ivy and you rub on them you could get it. The only time I ever got poison ivy was from branding calf's that were on our heavy poison ivy field.
     
  5. J.O.Y. Farm

    J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

    Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    ^ I was just going to say be careful about that :lol:
    I hadn't realized that mine could reach it thorough the fence after we had moved it, and I gave each goat their daily hugs and kisses and ended up with poison ivy right on my nose and lips! NOT fun! LOL! I haven't had it in years and I got it from my goats :roll: :laugh:
     
  6. GoAt-Newbie1138

    GoAt-Newbie1138 New Member

    3
    Dec 19, 2013
    Thanks guys, this was really helpfull!!