The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I’m a new goat owner and new to the forum. I picked up two Boer/Kiko cross bucklings that are 9 weeks. They have access to hay and browse. I’ve been trying to find the correct amount of feed to give them a day. I don’t want to overfeed. They’ve been getting less than a cup a day of feed each. I’m worried they are not getting enough. What is the best rule of thumb with feeding meat goats? Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
:hi: Welcome to the group from the Triad area. Can't help with feeding amounts, have smaller sized dairy breed goats. Does the side of the bag have recommended amounts to feed? Don't have an empty bag of what I feed on hand for reference, however, I used the suggested amounts and adjusted how many ounces they received according to whether any was left over. I never increased the amount of feed past the recommended amount on the bag. The older they became the less feed they received and the hay amount being eaten was increased. I checked the body condition score, felt for the thickness around the ribs and spinal column to help decide how much they required until I knew for sure they were being well maintained on the amounts being fed.
Congratulations on your newly acquired bucklings. Wish I could have been more precise on the amounts. What are the future plans for your guys? Breeding stock, wether prospect, meat for the freezer?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Well, I've got pet goats. So my main thoughts are to feed safely to prevent Urinary Calculi.

With meat goats, if one gets UC, usually they are just culled. Personally, I don't rely on grain much at all. But I would never go above 2 cups daily for ANY goat.

Sorry I'm not much help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts