New Goat-Parents

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by DasGoat, Jun 16, 2013.

1. DasGoat

DasGoat New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Hi Everyone!
    My girlfriend and I just got two pygmy goats two weeks ago that about 3 months old and we are in love with them!! Being new to owning goats we have more than a few question (that's why we joined TGS). One of our questions is how much should we be feeding them? We read that we can give them 1/4 cup of grain twice a day so we have been doing that and giving them a bucket full of hay as well and they never seem to finish all of it. They also looove when we give them some maple leaves! Any advice if we should being giving more or less or is that about right?

2. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    hello! welcome!!

few questions - do you have does, wethers, or bucks? do they have browse during the day?

3. DasGoat

DasGoat New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    We have a doe and a wether, well he has been banded and we are waiting for them to fall off and yes they do browse during the day

4. nchen7

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    i don't have pygmys, but that sounds like they have enough food, esp since they're not finishing their hay. someone who have pygmys may chime in about that, but if they have good body condition and don't look like they're losing weight, then they should be fine.

also, make sure you have baking soda and loose minerals out at all times for them. are they up to date with worming and cocci prevention?

btw - we at TGS love picures, so don't be afraid to post pictures of your new babies!

5. Huff_farm

Huff_farm New Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Make sure the maple leaves arnt red maple, they are poiseness

6. DasGoat

DasGoat New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Well they are definitely not losing weight! lol. I just hope I'm not over feeding them. Thanks for the advice though!

Attached Files:

7. nchen7

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
  8. emilieanne

emilieanne New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I have Nigerians and you are not over feeding them!!:) haha.
    They look like they get enough but you still have a little room that you could spoil them!!:p

To me they look a little more like nigerian dwarfs because of their pretty coloring. but they could be a cross.
    They're adorable!!:)

9. Bambi

Bambi Senior Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Central California
    Nice looking goats!

10. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Cute cute babies. You need to keep in mind rule #1:

1) No matter how little hay you feed, your goats will waste exactly half.:D

11. DasGoat

DasGoat New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Question! So done elephant ear plants started popping up in my pen, are the poisonous to goats?!! I started pulling them up just to make sure

ForumRunner_20130618_192908.jpg

12. montanadolphin

montanadolphin New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Wow, a question I can actually answer!
    Yes, they are poisonous.
    Here is a link to a list of poisonous plants I found today as a matter of fact. I'm new to owning goats and did a search, worried about all the plants on our new property. Hope it helps!
    http://kinne.net/poi-list.htm

13. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

That looks like Dock? My goats eat that all the time. The nitrates in them are neutralized by the rumen liquor.
    Better safe then sorry though until you're sure.