The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am completely new to goats... and recieved some pygmys from a lady whom obviously is new as well. Was supposed to get a breeding pair.. ended up with two does and one I believe to be pregnant... anyhow dont know when or how far and this lady swears its a buck... goint to post pics. Please any ideas on how long and all the advice I can possibly get is much appreciated! !

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
What makes the lady believe it is a buck? If it acts "bucky" it may be a hermie, but most likely not. Looks pregnant to me. I would say she has got a month or so left.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured she was preggo. Doesnt act like a buck at all!! So being new to goats what are signs of labor and what to expect? We werent really planning on having babies anytime soon, but this will be fun!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I agree, definitely a doe! Looks pregnant too, because she is starting an udder. Grace is right, probably about a month.

If you want awesome information, just read a lot in the Kidding Koral section and you will learn tons. They have kidding supplies and all that sweet stuff on there. http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f197/

Good luck with your doe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other thing is the lady told me she is "about" 6-7 months old tho She isnt too much smaller than the 1 yr old doe we got with her. Thanks for your input guys. Now the question what do I do? Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so my doe is getting bigger everyday it seems! Its driving me nuts becuade I dont know when she was breed and ive never had a pregnant goat before! Her girlie parts seem pudgy ish, and when she bleats you can see pink. No discharge yet. Ugh im a nervous wreck! I wish I new when she was bred!

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
It seems that everyone around here is waiting on a "no date doe"! Just watch for udder development over night. Do you know how to check ligs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive read about checking ligs. She is rather skiddish tho. I can usually "cop a feel" here and there at feeding time lol so ill try to check them. Her bag is about the size of a grape fruit and she runs and plays alot. Im also worried she wont let me mess with the babies after she has them since she isnt the most trusting..

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
She will probably get better as she gets nearer her term. (How can anyone mistake that for a buck?). Ligs are a good "indicator" but, they come and go. Watch for several things happening at once...she will separate herself from the "herd". She will make a nice bed, and work to make it perfect. Her udder will increase in size (when you say to yourself "wow, that's twice as big as yesterday" that is also a sign). Her "topline" will rise near her tail. She will get "posty" rear legs. AND, her ligs will be gone. When you see all these things...she will start to have small contractions...do not leave her...she's due soon.

Good luck! Watch the birthing videos on here and youtube. Get your birthing kit ready.

·
Administrator
84,628 Posts
If she is that young and preggo, make sure, you are there for her when she does kid, hopefully she can have them naturally. But, if not, have a vet available in case.

It is usually 1 month to 1 1/2 month prior to kidding, when the udder begins to develop.

A good link below, may help some.
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f197/signs-close-kidding-144566/

·
1,524 Posts
Well, to get a general idea of when she could have been bred-

how long have you had her?
how long ago did the other woman get her? She probably wasn't bred there, unless that woman had other goats?

She sounds like a first freshener, so sometimes all bets are off with them. Some just don't show signs until they are pushing the kids out!

Besides the other signs mentioned, her belly will drop a few days before. That is the kid(s) getting into birthing position. You will noticeit most on her right side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update* the doe in question is looking puffier in the girly parts today than before and when she lays down it looks like more pink shows. Tried checking ligs and she wasnt having any part of that lol. Bag looks the same as yesterday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now having weird bleating like eeee e e. Over and over and over and over some more!! Shes only quiet when she eating and nappin! And she now looks bonier around her hips and tail? She wont let go proding around to feel for ligs yet. She wont play with the others though she is still "with the herd" and wont climb on the "pallet mountian" they have just stands on the very bottom with her front feet on the bottom step.. vulva is more pink and stays that way almost like its just so relaxed hanging in the breeze.. lol. And stands kinda funny every now and then. Bag still no change and no discharge.. maybe im just paranoid (and obsessed) lol and want her to have these babies!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts