The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share the pictures of my new goat set up. I am still working some things out and am open to suggestions for improving things. I have one hoop structure for my goats to "live" in, one for storage and milking (this may be moved into the shed, not sure), and we will be building a third for kidding/kids.

The goats were originally kept in a wooden fence with the chickens, and now we can let them together or shut them off and keep them separate. We are thinking we might be moving to 6 acres within a year so I don't want to do a huge fence and permanent structure, but if we don't move, we may expand the fence here.

I also recently bought a big round bale of hay. It was pretty nasty looking on the outside, but after ripping much of the outer layers off, I found some nice looking hay inside, and it smells nice too, I don't see any mold, so I set it up so they can eat on it throughout the day. Not sure how this little hay tent will work, but I guess I'll find out!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Set up looks great! Perfect size for 2 goaties!
The tarps work great for a little while, I've used them and found that after 3-4 months of exposure to sun and weather, they break down...simple enough fix though, they're priced low enough to have a couple on hand.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks :) Yeah Liz, I feel like the tarp queen. We bought some really nice ones for the hoop structures and I keep getting coupons from Harbor Freight for the lighter ones. I figure tarps are always going to come in handy so I stock up and have them everywhere.

How much space do your goats have? I'm hoping we will have enough room once the kids come.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Looking good romanad.

Where did you find the hoop structures? They are smaller than ones I have seen in different catalogs. Great size!
I think they are just a bent hog panel.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Look good. I too love tarps for extra "stuff". What size are the holes on the fencing?? They don't look like the horse non climb 2x4" but not 4x4 either-- 3x3?? It seems to be a nice size. The only thing we have around here is field fence, smaller on the bottom 4x4 higher up, or the 2x4 non climb horse fence. It's tough because I'm renting a 100 yr old place and putting up all the fencing and structures. 330' of field fence here runs about 189, and 100' of the nonclimb runs about 190. I like the non climb for the nigi's but it's so much more expensive. It's around my girls, but my little boys have field- oopps found out really quick how even at 10wks old they could get through it! So we look hill billy they had to have the orange construction plastic type as a second barrier- with lots of supervision.
I wish I could find the size you appear to have.

·
571 Posts
Looks good!

Bob

·
Wrapped around a hoof!
655 Posts
There is nothing that can't be housed with a tarp house! I started out with the hoop structures and moved to making actual little 3 sided houses for them. But for the rain I got all sorts of crazy cabana's going on so they can eat/play and not be all huddled and hiding from the rain.

And I found some really heavy duty tarps for a good price in my travels. I just took down the hoop shelter it had been over and it was in perfect shape after 6 months. I just took that tarp to make one of the Cabana's...

So looks good! Do yours try and climb the hoop? A couple of mine loved trying to scale it and was a big game when it would flatten and then bounce up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! We didn't really have a plan going into this, but I think it turned out better than we thought it would, and so far we haven't had anyone escape, so that's a plus too.

Goatgirlzca, we just made them from bent cattle panels as xymenah said. I have three cattle panels, bent and secured to some wood post laying on the ground. The wood posts are held in place by some pieces of rebar. I can try and get some closer pictures if you like. Then we just covered the whole thing with a heavy duty tarp.

Clearwtrbeach, we went with the goat fence by Red Brand that they sell at tractor supply. It says the holes are 4x4 but I think they look smaller too. I guess I'll have to measure them sometime. That fence was pretty expensive, but the guy at the store told us it should hold up better than other similar types of fence. It was made sturdier for the kind of abuse goats will give it. I guess we will find out if that is true! We bought a huge roll of it and only used about half, so we have some to start a fence at our new place if we do end up moving. I hope it will keep the kids in!

Shellshocker66, mine haven't tried climbing them yet. That sounds very funny, like a goat trampoline! I'm just glad we ran across the idea of making them. It is great to have a cheap, temporary option like that! Once we decide if we are moving or staying, we want to build a nicer, permanent barn for them, but they seem good enough for now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts