New goat with a mule

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, Dec 4, 2008.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I just got a two year old billy from a neighbor. I initially got the billy to keep one of my whether (3 month old) goats company. The new goat is a pygmy as well. As soon I as got home, I put the new goat in the corral with the mule to keep the new goat separate from the whether for a few days. My mule is broke to ride, and has not been aggressive to other animals. The problem is that the mule chased the new billy, trampled him a little and even tried to kick him. I now have the two separate. Does anyone know what I should do?
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    turtlebutte goats....I would definitely not put him in with the mule again...he is lucky to be alive or not have something broke...I hate to say it...but you cannot trust that mule again....with that buck.... :( The wether and the buck can wait it out.. .. until you are ready to put them together...That seems to be the only option ...I see for you right now....I am sorry ....your mule had to do that..... :( :sigh:

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I had a similar thing happen, one of my doelings got out of her pasture and into the one with my miniature horse colt...she was I agree...don't put your little guy in with the mule again. :sigh:
  4. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Di - That is awful, I am so sorry. :(

I do agree with the others, I would not put them together again.
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I would just put the goats together :shrug: that was the whole idea right? Why are you keeping them separate?
  6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    They probably have them seperate for one or another reason, like making sure neither is sick before introducing, or allowing them time to get used to the other goat's scent/sounds.

I know in my work with reptiles, you ALWAYS quarantine a newcomer far from your collection and practice strict sanitation, because so many diseases, illnesses, and parasites can be transported and you never know how the reptile was kept in the prior owner's facility.

So while I'm not as strict about that with goats or other livestock, I do keep them seperate for at least a few days, for both reasons above. They also spend a day within the smaller kennel that's in the pen so they can eyeball each other and sniff through the fence.

It seems to work with poultry and it worked okay with Buck! Here's hoping it works for the new girl. Watch Mini-Mania for a new thread tonight. :greengrin:

Anyways, there I went blabbering on again, but, turtlebutte goats, I would go ahead and put them together and watch for a bit just to ensure safety. Some equines are just grouches who don't like goats, so the mean ol mule can just be by himself. :thumbup:
  7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Mules are VERY protective animals. He will kill that billy because he thinks it is a predator.